DjangoBooks.com

Recording gypsy pompe

Paulius VolkovasPaulius Volkovas ✭✭✭
in Recording Posts: 147
So i will be recording gypsy rhythm guitar (pompe) for one song in a good studio with nice expensive mics.
Does anyone have any tips on how to best record my guitar?
The track will have a double bass , my guitar and soprano saxophone playing lead, so i will be only one guitarist playing the rythm.
In my previous attempts to record i had some problems with fret buzzes and all kinds of clicks that were very noticeable in recording.
When i listen to gypsy playalongs i don't hear no fret buzz, so my question is: is the buzz hidden somehow or its a guitar setup issue? My guitar has 3mm action and there is still some buzz here and there. Its not buzzing all over the place, but i can hear it on certain chords. I think if i raise the action even more the guitar will be unplayable.

Comments

• bluetrainbluetrain Finland✭✭✭ Cach, Epiphone Triumph, Gibson ES-300
    I've got some really good results using ribbon microphones so maybe you should ask the recording technician what he thinks about them. 3mm is not too low I think. Maybe you play the rhythm too loud or your guitar has some fret issues? Does it buzz if you play it less loud?

Best,
    Tomi
  • Paulius VolkovasPaulius Volkovas ✭✭✭
    It does buzz on some spots even with lighter playing.
    I was thinking 3mm is pretty high action, im not too confortable with it especially on low strings playing lead. Maybe just need more practice.
  • JonJon melbourne, australiaProdigy Dupont MD50B, '79 Favino
    If you're in a good studio with a good engineer, let them pick the mics. I've had people get good results on my guitar with a whole range of different things. I like a ribbon (Royer 121 particularly) and some kind of condenser (AKG414, Neumann KM84, U89...all can be good). At home I use an AEA R84 ribbon and a pair of recently acquired Shure SM81s, which I really like, but in the studio I just sit quietly and watch.

As for buzz, don't let it worry you too much. I've got a 3.5mm action at the low E, and am thinking of lowering it a bit. As long as the notes don't crap out when you hit them. I was shocked by how much buzz Tchavolo has on his new album, but the sound in general is growing on me. A little buzz is actually nice (I can't believe I just said that!). Also, if you don't have to be ultra close miked, a bit of air between you and the mics, and where they're placed, can help de-emphasise buzz.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited July 2014 Posts: 3,319
    Try not gripping the chords so tightly with the left hand??? You should be damping a lot anyway. Maybe this will help if it is the kind of buzz that happens when you un-grip (damp) the chord. Maybe also try not hitting so hard with the right hand (since you are mic-ed anyway) if it is fret buzz from non-level frets.

Is the clicking from your pick or the right hand hitting the top of the guitar?

PS- also watch out for harmonics when damping chords.