DjangoBooks.com

Guitar Humidification

richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
in Welcome Posts: 518
I need to buy an in case guitar humidifier. I've got a d hole gypsy guitar. What do you guys recommend. Going on a road trip and want to get one today if possible……so let me know! thanks

Comments

• cavemusiccavemusic Edmonton, Alberta 2010 JWC Modele Jazz, 2015 Jean Barault Grande Bouche with resonator, 1947 Kay upright bass, Django finger puppet
    I have a couple of Oasis humidifiers. They work fine.
    http://www.oasishumidifiers.com/
    Kevin
  • BarkonatorBarkonator Medina, OH✭✭ Mazaud - Vieux Paris
    I like the planet waves humidipak. The refills can get costly, but they work great.
  • richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    I wonder how the humidpak compares or differs from their simple "wet sponge" system
  • BarkonatorBarkonator Medina, OH✭✭ Mazaud - Vieux Paris
    You don't need to worry about keeping the sponge wet. The humidipak absorbs and releases moisture to keep the humidity between 45-50% humidity. In the long run this is a more expensive option... but I am really lazy!
  • Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    edited June 2014 Posts: 440
    You should not need to humidify your guitar after the heating season ends.
    In case humidification is needed when the humidity is below 45% not over. The rule of thumb is: begin humidifying when the heating comes on. Stop when it goes off. In most of the world you will not need to use a humidifier in the spring and summer.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    I'm cheap. I use a ziplok bag with a damp sock inside....leave the ziplok open. make sure that the damp sock doesn't touch the guitar. Also, in the closet where I store my cases/guitars I have a small plastic container with some damp cloths in it.
  • MattHenryMattHenry Washington, DC✭✭✭✭
    Winters are dry in DC and my humidipak wasn't enough for my guitars so I started running a humidifier for them again. Pain in the butt but I care too much about my guitars to chance it.

The humidipak also just seems too good to be true. Where is humidity coming from if not from moisture and how do you get a month of moisture locked into their barely porous bag. It might be okay for moderately dry climates but I bought like three rounds of humidipak refills this summer and was still seeing more warping and movement than if I kept them in a humidified room. YMMV.