DjangoBooks.com

Django's duet recordings

bluetrainbluetrain Finland✭✭✭ Cach, Epiphone Triumph, Gibson ES-300
edited May 2014 in Welcome Posts: 156
Hi!

I've been listening to Django integrale series and I happened to find few songs where Django and Stephane play as a duo. It would be very interesting to gather here all the songs they recorded as a duo. From these recordings we can here Django's great rhythm playing. So I'll start this thread and hopefully other guys will join :) I will start by songs:

Out of Nowhere:

Baby:
-In this song there's especially inspiring rhythm playing. Unfortunately I couldn't find any youtube link to share. Check your Integrale cds. It's 9-2 (1939-1940). This is great!

Nocturne

Best,
Tomi
MichaelHorowitzMaximusVolumusswing68Jon

Comments

• A GentA Gent ✭✭
  • noodlenotnoodlenot ✭✭✭
    i love Stephane´s and Django´s duos, even if i only know a few. IMHO you can feel Django´s musical genius even more strongly there. Such a terrific comping django could make... always fresh and full of ideas, robust, rhythmically ingenious, inventive. He played with bravado and attention to detail and the soloist at the same time and, at times, it´s almost like you can hear him think as he goes along.

There´s a tune i´m very fond of but can´t find on youtube : Stephane´s blues.
    swing68
  • swing68swing68 Poznan, Poland✭✭✭ Manouche Modele Orchestre, JWC Catania Swing
    edited May 2014 Posts: 121
    Nice one, I started a playlist for duets and never spotted these.

You might like to add "I've Found a New Baby", of which there are actually 2 duet versions. Here's the one from April 1937. Others in this vein to follow soon.

The war on Am7 and Cmaj7 begins here ...
    @noodlenot - indeed, no joy with "Stephan's Blues" - but will this one with Eddie South do ;) ?

Again, slightly off-piste with no Stephane, but this duet with saxophonist Andre Ekyan nevertheless displays some top-notch rhythm work:

• bluetrainbluetrain Finland✭✭✭ Cach, Epiphone Triumph, Gibson ES-300
    Great! We got this thread going on nicely! Thanks everybody for the posts this far!
  • bluetrainbluetrain Finland✭✭✭ Cach, Epiphone Triumph, Gibson ES-300
    edited May 2014 Posts: 156
    This far we have Django playing rhythm for the soloist on the following tunes:

-Out of nowhere (Integrale 9-2)
    -Baby (Integrale 9-2)
    -Nocturne (Integrale 7-2)
    -I've found a new baby (Integrale 5-2)
    -Stephan's Blues (Integrale 7-1)
    -Tiger Rag (Integrale 6-1)
    -Eddie's Blues (Integrale 6-1)

Any other duet recordings?
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Seriously, his comping is amazing. His solo playing aside, one could make a whole study of is comping IMHO.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Did they ever do Honeysuckle Rose as a duet?
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Ok thanks...