DjangoBooks.com

Eastman Gypsy Guitars Coming

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    Sounds great. What kind of strings are you using?
  • Rob MacKillopRob MacKillop Edinburgh, Scotland✭✭✭✭
    Playability is good. I never noticed the long string length. The action is not too low or too high - Goldilocks would love it! The frets are highly polished, and the nut and bridge look like they have been carefully created. I find it hard to fault.

The strings are stock, D'Addarios, 11s. They are the only negative, in that they are rusting slightly. I have a set of Argentines on the way...

I really only played it for ten minutes before getting the camera out. It's as stock as can be.

I've heard that the DM2 will be out soon, with a French polish finish and walnut neck. It is also a petite bouche version. They want to see how they sell before offering other versions.

The factory is just about ready to send out the stock to the US and EU. The invasion is not far off!
    Buco
    You're such a tone master Rob. Playing these guitars right over the soundhole is not where their strength or the sweet spot is and yet you make it sound good.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    Haha. Guilty! But I spent an hour today knocking it out near the bridge. LOUD! :-)
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    Nice work Rob.
    The Eastman sounds great.
    I am trying learning those pieces from Michael's book too - got a way to go yet though.
    Cheers, Chris. Good luck with the etudes. I didn't spend enough time with them before recording - I needed something to play - so I intend to return to them later, hopefully with a more appropriate technique. I'd like to know if there is more of that kind of thing available.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hey Rob, there are tons of transcriptions out there that also work well as etudes. Start by picking one of Djangos solos that you particularly like. Be aware that some transcriptions online may contain 'errors'. Play at a very slow tempo at first so that you can concentrate on 'perfect' technique (assuming you are talking about right hand) and keep your wrist relaxed. Pick some of the current players that you like their technique and watch their videos then look in the mirror as you play and see if your hand looks like theirs. Also, if you are going to use 'strict' gypsy picking (downstrokes, double downstrokes, etc.) go as slow as you need to so that you don't have to cheat and stick with it and before you know it you will be able to do it automatically. I'm not even a lead player and I can do it so anyone can :-).

I hope that helps. Good luck and have fun!
    Cheers, Bones. I have Michael's Django Unaccompanied book, so there is lots for me to get my teeth into there. But I was thinking more of the student-level pieces that are completely solo, no backing tracks or accompaniments, self-contained pieces. such as the three Gypsy Etudes.

By the way, two days after making the video, I have put a lot of work in with the right hand, and the guitar is sounding even better. I think it is a magnificent instrument for the price. Very happy.

Thanks for your advice, Bones!
  • Rob, I’m glad you emailed me so I’d come to the forum and see and hear the guitar. It sounds great! Tone is really sweet and volume even playing over soundhole seems quite loud!
    I’d never offer advice except to say, you’re great and will be a full fledged GJ player in a day or two. As I mentioned in email, the pompe is more than it seems but you’re off to a good start and have a fantastic ear and a expert handle on technique and sound in so many genres.
    I think Eastman has made a great move into the market by making this instrument, and I would have gotten one had they done so years ago. I absolutely love my archtop. Don’t know how they do it for the price but they really are hard to beat!
    See you in Scotland one day. I’ll sleep on the couch!
    Cheers, Robbie. I'm already much further into the technique than I was when making the video. I am getting to grips, so to speak, with the rest-stroke technique when changing strings, and it feels great at medium tempo, but I lose it when things get fast. Slow, careful steps. I'll get there.

Yes, it's a loud guitar, more aggressive than my Elferink archtop. For the price, I think it is a fine guitar.

As for the couch, being a good Scotsman I'll only charge you double B)