DjangoBooks.com

Eastman Gypsy Guitars Coming

I recently bought an Eastman semi hollow, a 335 copy. I was pretty excited about it because I liked it more than my previous gibson 335 it replaced for less than a quarter the price. I have many expensive guitars and while I like them, I'm coming to realize I want "player" guitars that I don't have to worry about.

Since I loved my previous Eastman I decided to contact the company and suggest they do a gypsy guitar line. Turns out they are already in the works and are anticipating having samples ready for winter Namm.

I'm thinking these Eastman guitars are going to blow the other imports out of the water. Especially if the guitars mirror the same quality/price point that their current line up of acoustic instruments have achieved.

I'm really hoping they copied a modern selmer design like a Dupont, I'm guessing that will be the case. In the email from Eastman it was suggested their would be several models so, and again just a guess, they'll have solid wood as well as laminate instruments in both dhole and oval designs.

If you can live with slight binding and finish imperfections than Eastman is a really good bet. Luckily they don't seem to skimp on the frets and playability.

Comments

• JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL
    My main archtop is an Eastman, so I would for sure be interested in how this progresses. Hopefully they will have a line that somewhat mimics their acoustic line in that there are price points more nearly all players.
  • Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    They get the designs right.
    So they should be good enough.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 4,723
    This is good news.
    Now why's Godin still waiting?
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    edited April 2014 Posts: 6,151
    I had the Eastman prototypes here a while back...they were nice in many ways but still a work in progress. I gave them a few suggestions which I hope they take to heart. I'll be excited to see the final version!
    JSantaMandobart
  • richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    They were smart to bring the prototypes to you Michael. Lets hope they took your advice to heart and come out with a great line up!

At least they are already well into the research and design phase. Any guesses Michael as to if they are going for a more modern feel or a vintage correct selmer style?

constantine
    They were pretty straight Selmer copies. I don't think they'll be doing anything other than that but I'll ask and see if they've come up with some other models.
  • JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL
    Michael, do you think we'll see these for sale by the end of the year?
    @JSanta not sure, I'll ask my contacts at Eastman and see where they're at with it.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Michael, did they have a forced top or a bent pliage?

thanks
    @Bones they were forced....you only find heat bent tops on very high end hand built guitars. I've never seen an Asian guitar with one.