DjangoBooks.com

Archtops

What do the people here think about using acoustic archtops for gypsy jazz? I love the sound of gypsy guitars but I find that I like acoustic archtops more.

Any suggestions for specific archtops that are good for this kind of music?

Comments

• The one you like
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    Most acoustic archtops made these days are made to be amplified and cannot compete volume/projection wise against Selmer type guitars. Older (pre 1950) archtops were designed to be played unamplified and compete quite favorably against the Gypsy guitar. I would suggest a vintage Epiphone Triumph. They are canons, have great tone and are quite playable. They are also a bargain for a hand carved archtop. To drive the tops on these guitars you will need to use strings no lighter than 12 guage.

Hope that helps (I have a 1946 model that I use quite often on Gypsy Jazz gigs).

Cheers,

Marc
    www.hotclubpacific.com
    pickitjohn
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 3,707
    If you have lots of money Benedetto's are lovely, if you haven't got an archtop yet, look for one that is light and responsive, harder to find and usually cost more. What is your budget.

If memory is correct Bob Benedetto told me that parallel braced guitars can be made lighter than X braced guitars. The lighter the more acoustic the sound. He also told me the back is the key to getting the sound right. Solid carved wood top and backs will have a more acoustic richer sound than laminated wood construction.

Eastwood are pretty decent for the money.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    You, as was mentioned, will have to string heavily, some folks, James D'Aquisto included intended their instruments to be string with 12 or 13 gauge phosphor bronze strings or those old school copper wound strings. If you raise the action to about 2.5-3mm you can get sound out of them. It will not approach the volume of a Selmer type guitar for lines, for rhythm the arch tops will compete pretty well.
    Really the arch top for the most part is a design that functions best when amplified. I've played , set up or owned many arch tops. Many, many, many. They are for the most part not the greatest acoustics .
    The older pre 53' Epiphones are a good choice , they have acoustic power and are not terribly expensive when compared to other brands. Triumphs are OK. Beware that not all have the same neck profile. Try before you buy, also not all are that great. They are also more than a little bit bulky having very arched tops and backs.
    Selmers are for the most part much easier to handle once you adjust to the scale length.
    Archtops make sense because they are Jazz guitars. Selmers are Jazz guitars. So yeah. Go for it.
  • MattHenryMattHenry Washington, DC✭✭✭✭
    I don't like it. Archtops sound like archtops and gypsy jazz guitars sound like gypsy jazz guitars. I'll always prefer the sound of a gypsy guitar for gypsy jazz. Plus I enjoy how aggressive the right hand is in gypsy jazz and archtops don't push back hard enough for you to really lay into them.

To Al's point, I have a '51 Epiphone Triumph and it is a good value in a players guitar. It's still not a viable acoustic instrument and even set up high you can't attack it like a Selmer style guitar.
    Thanks for all the great info everybody. Do any of you have any experience with the higher end Eastman archtops without electronics? Like the 900 series?
    I would avoid the Eastman line if you can afford something else. It depends on your price point.
    Ok, thanks Al!
  • lostjohnlostjohn Charleston, WV✭✭ Altamira M01
    Al, why do you recommend avoiding Eastman arch tops. I have zero personal experience with arch tops, but I have an Eastman OM flat-top. Easily, the best guitar buy I have made. A well made, beautiful sounding guitar. I absolutely love it.
    Lostjohn
    Its because of my experience repairing them for customers.
    I'm pleased to hear your enjoying yours and hope you continue to enjoy it for years to come.
    That being said, I would not recommend them for reasons that are too esoteric to go into detail about.
    I am not fond of their finishes , build method or timber selection.
    So, I can not recommend them.
    If its a price point decision fine.
    They don't seem to be ready for the long haul from what I have seen in my shop.
    I consider them to be a budget / utility build.
    Everythings fine till you have to repair them I suppose ?
    Sorry.
    scared: