DjangoBooks.com

neck size for smallish hands

hi, I was lucky enough to find a local luthier who can build me a Gypsy guitar at a special price. he uses original Selmer plans, and has apparently been building Gypsy guitars for UK and US buyers for more than a decade now. he was happy to hear that someone who's local is playing GJ and offered me a great deal to help me out.

OK, so since his guitars are 1:1 copies of the original Selmer, the neck is somewhat thick. I never was comfy with classical sized necks given my smallish hands (and stubby fingers). I've been reading here about neck sizes and though some prefer narrow necks, the majority prefer wider ones albeit thinner (C-shaped IIRC). I initially asked if the neck of my guitar be built Ala modern epiphone acoustic guitars - narrow with a soft V-shape - but now I'm wondering if I'm better off with a wider but thinner neck (c- or maybe v-shaped).

my question, should I have a narrow and thin neck made, or should I go for the wide but thin kind? does it really make a huge difference in sound and tone? what's the middle ground in terms of neck size? I don't often hear about V-shaped necks, only c- or d-shaped, how do you guys feel about V-shaped necks?

thanks!

Comments

• bohemewarblerbohemewarbler St. Louis, MO✭✭✭✭ Jordan Wencek No.26, Altamira M01D-12 fret
    My advice would be to play as many guitars as possible, preferably in one general settling, and see what's the most comfortable. There's no other reliable way to tell. Being a GJ player, that limits your options. If you can afford it, the best way to do that is to go to Samois during the Django festival where luthiers present their guitars. However, you also have to be able hear what the guitar sounds like, so testing the guitar while playing in a jam may be helpful in determining its loudness relative to other guitars, but it might not allow you to hear the subtleties of the guitar which might impress you or might annoy you. I don't think there's a clear solution in relation to shape and width of neck either. If you normally rest your thumb in the classical position at the horizontal center-back of the neck, a thin neck might be preferable. However, if you like to rest your thumb more towards the top, a more rounded back might feel more comfortable as the squared top might make it harder for your thumb to reach over the neck for those "thumb positions."

My current GJ guitar has a relatively thin neck and a squared off top and bottom (staple shape) and is fairly comfortable. However, I recently played a Vladimir guitar in which the back of the neck is thicker, more rounded. Without a doubt, it felt more comfortable for me to play. And playing it in a jam, I noticed that it wasn't as loud as my GJ guitar, but I really couldn't get a sense of of its subtleties. Was I getting an annoying buzz? I couldn't tell. Another person in the jam thought that my guitar was easier to play.

Different hands and differences in the way we play with our hands (and our bodies) will make the difference in which necks are most comfortable. The only to really know is to go out there and spend the bucks to get you to places where you can test out a large selection of guitars.
  • AmundLauritzenAmundLauritzen ✭✭✭✭
    I used to play a Favino copy(Dell Arte Jimmy Rosenberg model) that has a real wide fretboard with big spaces between the frets.
    In the autumn of 2013, I bought an Eimers Antique. The difference is night and day for me. The fretboard is so much more comfortable to my hands.

To me, the width and thickness of the neck is not what makes the big difference, although it matters.
    What made everything easier for me is shorter distance between frets so I didn't have to stretch so much.

• StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    edited February 2014 Posts: 349
    I have sorta small hands, short fingers, but wide across palm. I love BIG necks. I have a Dell Arte Homage Studio Model (Favino style) with a wide, squarish shape neck. I guess the square profile originally came from Selmer. Never come across any other guitars with that boxey feel. Took a while to get used to it, but appreciate the extra space and over-all bigness. Can't stand being cramped due to lack of space. Just don't get small necks described as comfortable, or fast? YMMV, etc. On the other hand, Bill Wyman, formerly of the Rolling Stones has very small hands and has always played basses with appropriately small necks (Fender Musicmasters, etc.). He's commented on this in several interviews. At the end of the day, it's VERY important for the neck to feel right.
    Swang on,
  • Franz MoralesFranz Morales Philippines✭✭
    Hmm, thanks for the input guys. I'll probably have it fitted with a modern acoustic type neck (which I am used to). The last time I played a wide neck, I kept on hitting the space in-between strings! haha. So it seems, the neck size doesn't really matter as long as you're comfortable playing it.
    stuart wrote: »
    I have small hands and stubby fingers too but like @Steveareno I much prefer the fat, large neck of my Cigano to the thin, electric style neck of my Gitane. I struggle a bit with getting my thumb over for some chords but otherwise I much prefer the fatter neck. I can't really explain why ....
    Stuart you say cigano has a fat neck? I was told the Ciganos have a very thin neck.. care to elaborate more on the profile? What I'm wondering is what is the fattest and most square neck profile on a Asian made GJ guitar? I played a friends Di Mauro Boogie Woogie the other day and it had a great feeling thick neck. Is their any cheaper guitars that have a vintage profile like that? Maybe Michael could chime in on this? Sorry to hijack the topic.

I'll head to the music store this week and try out a classical guitar. just in case I might find it OK. it's been years since I played one so maybe my hands have stretched a bit? too bad there are no ciganos nor gitanes here I could try out.
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    Neck shape is certainly a personal preference but keep in mind most players seem to adapt to most neck shapes rather quickly so I wouldn't take it too seriously.

If you are on the quest for a perfect neck, you should probably measure necks you like. A builder can give you a very close approximation if they know:
    • the width of the neck at the zero fret and the 14th fret
    • the thickness of the neck between the 0/ 1st fret and the 9th/10th fret.
    • the profile: U shape, C shape, D shape, etc. Make light cardboard patterns if you like at the 0/1st and 9th/10th.

Measurements will require calipers and/or a micrometer. If the strings on are the neck you are measuring, you will need a measured spacer to get the caliper over the strings to measure thickness, then subtract the spacer thickness for the actual thickness. Measurements should be within 1/32" or 0.5mm.

Something I've been doing recently is adding a little inward cant to the fingerboard to ease the edge some. This helps with thumb overs and wider necks. When finished it is a smooth rounded transition with the widest part of the neck at the base of the fingerboard and is more comfortable.
    thanks Craig. very useful. I'll be doing just that, though obtaining a caliper might be a problem. will have to research very carefully before I have the guitar made. it may be offered at a special price, but it's still a significant investment and I can't afford any regrets :D