GyptonGypton Ottawa, Canada✭✭
edited June 2014 in Classifieds Posts: 21
Gallato RS1939
Tagged:

Comments

• Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    Did Angelo ever play a Gallato guitar?
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Yes, but he didn't play this model which I believe is mostly Asian made. He played the ones made in Spain by Mateos.
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @Gypton…

Quite a package, looks as if your letting go of all your Gypsy Jazz stuff. Is the dark line on the top lower bottom Bout a crack or part of the grain?
    Also what is the reason for the treble strings E & B having the 11 gauge red wrapped Argentine strings and the others are from the 10 gauge purple wrapped Argentine. Maybe better to ask. How is the tone and volume across all strings. Were you trying to get better response with heavier strings on the treble?

Seems a bit High for a 6 or 7 year old modified guitar that list new for 1280 Euros
    I believe there is some question about the actual place or PLACES these guitars are made.
    good luck with your sale…

If one would care to used the forum search engine there lots to read about these guitars

pick on

pickitjohn
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited February 2014 Posts: 3,319
    I have one of these and also one of the maple D-hole models. I like them both tone and volume wise, loud and dry. I have been considering reshaping the necks as this one has had done as the originals have the old-school Selmer boxy neck shape but I've sort of gotten used to it so probably never will get around to it. Other than that, they are cool if a bit heavy compared to an artisan built guitar like a Holo. I'm guessing that they are probably partially assembled in Asia and set up in France but that is just based on the rumors that I have heard on this forum. Generally, I think that they are a good, user friendly mid-priced guitar with a traditional sound (not that I've ever played any original Selmers). Mine have a truss rod but I'm not sure if one of this vintage does since I think that the earlier ones didn't have one.
    pics please
    whoops now i see
  • GyptonGypton Ottawa, Canada✭✭
    New Price: $1200

Link to Kijiji page for more pics: http://tinyurl.com/mqaxfyo

There is a lot of confusion as to where these were made, as some lower-end Gallatos are Asian-built.
    When I was doing my research on this guitar to buy it, I found a few forum posts from Serge himself, he was responding to others talking about this guitar- he stated that he has 2 European shops- in Spain and Paris, and parts of the RS1939 are made in the different shops, but it is all European-made. Now, maybe some of the hardware is asian made, or maybe he's just a liar, but who can prove it?
    All I know is, the label inside the guitar says "Gallato Paris", and this sounds a good step up from any of the Asians I've played.

Dark line on the lower bout is a streak in the grain, not a crack. I can send a close-up pic if interested.

Yes, I am letting go of all my Gypsy Jazz stuff- I'm just not keeping up with it as I have too many other guitar styles on the go, and leaving the country in sept for a year, so I dont want to put this guitar in storage and risk damaging it. I can always get a new guitar when I have time to start up again.

I do use heavier B & E strings, I spent a huge amount of time setting this guitar up and trying different strings, and it just sounds best with light argentines on the wound strings, slightly heavier on the high strings.

I normally like bigger, fatter necks, I have fairly big hands but the square neck was just unusable, couldnt get my hands around the neck. It is much better now and you really can't tell anything was done.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hi Gypton,

Does that one have an adjustable truss rod?
  • GyptonGypton Ottawa, Canada✭✭
    Yes, hexkey adjustable truss rod, accessed through the soundhole.
  • itsthewooitsthewoo
    Do you have any audio samples of the guitar?