DjangoBooks.com

Django Reinhardt on BBC TV

Comments

• MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    Interesting thoughts, Svanis. I didn't see your post earlier. You must have posted while I wrote my silly post about the Romany band.
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    edited February 2014 Posts: 936
    @Svanis1337

Sure am glad you posted the youtube of Art Tatum. :shake:

Hats off to you my friend, where have I been? He's gotta be to the Piano what
    Django is to the Guitar. GOD :bow:

What a pleasure, many Thanks!

What Art Tatum C D's would you suggest as a must have.

pick on
    pickitjohn
  • Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2014 Posts: 459
    pickitjohn wrote: »
    What Art Tatum C D's would you suggest as a must have.

I like Art Tatum - 20th Century Piano Genius.

cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1177266/a/20th+century+piano+genius.htm

It was recorded privately at Ray Heindorf's Beverly Hills home between 1950 and 1955. It's intimate and with incredible sound quality, really. They all sit around the piano and talk about what Art just played after each performance, and what he should play next. Some of the tunes were previously unissued. Tw two takes of "Sweet Lorraine" are completely different and in the second one he goes into some uncharted territory. Art Tatum is not someone you can listen to over longer periods of time, though. It gets kind of grating.

As with Django, only few scraps of footage remain. Four to be exact. But unlike Django's case, they're all full songs. This one is probably the best of the bunch:

youtube.com/watch?v=q0QD558TWSQ

Matteo wrote: »
    They all look so happy, in such an innocent way.

Yes, they look very happy-go-lucky! It's a shame you never see this nowadays, because it's contageous! :p
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    edited February 2014 Posts: 1,261
    spatzo wrote: »
    According to Serge Bromberg the "Jazz Hot" film was a professional production involving several cameras and was probably shot by the BBC Film Section.

Hey Spatzo, based on what Bromberg said, you and I actually thought the footage may have been shot by the GPO Film Unit (not the BBC) and possibly involved a guy called R.Q. McNaughton. However, we could not find any record of it in any archives so it was yet another dead end for us. Here is some of McNaughton's work:- http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0573801/

The "Le Jazz Hot" footage definitely involves several takes. If you study it carefully, it is obvious both visually and audibly.
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    Yes you are right that's what Bromberg told me, I mismatched Film Unit and Film Section...
    Yes but the although it did a variety of things, the GPO Film Unit seems an odd choice to make such a film. However, Serge Bromberg was very specific about it and the names he quoted match. Sadly, there is no reference to it in the GPO archives or on McNaughton's accreditations. An enigma shrouded in mystery. :question:

On the other hand since the version of Jazz Hot we see appears to be film designed to promote the Quintette, I doubt the BBC made.

I have to admit, I think the person who did produce this film deserved a good kicking. The long preamble is a waste of time and 2m 30secs lost when we should be watching the Quintette. :( I like the intro with Django and Steph duetting and the other guys playing cards but I absolutely hate the following section where the group is playing in the dark. Such a wasted opportunity!! X_X
    MichaelHorowitzSvanis1337
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    edited February 2014 Posts: 768
    Yes! 2.30 is a big waste of time and also a complete failure with the light effect.

But based on the fact the BBC broadcast was ten minutes long there is above all a problem with the time left for the other two tunes in about 4 minutes and 20 seconds it is rather a short time for the HCQ as tunes length was generally more than 3 minutes. If one tune was Sweet Georgia Brown (3.06 on Jan 31st, 1938) there should be only 1.13 left to the last number.

We must remember also that the starting point is Charles Delaunay who wrote that a short film (The title "Jazz Hot" was not mentioned) was shot in 1938 in Paris with a total of three tunes including "J'attendrai".

Stuart's idea is a good one!
    Paul Balmer, who made the excellent Stephane Grappelli DVD, interviewed Lew Grade and asked him about "Jazz Hot". Grade claimed he had made it but Balmer did not think Grade actually recognised the film when he showed it to him so he was a little doubtful. There was absolutely no indication that Grade had a copy.
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    So maybe two different films?
    I think Balmer's view was that Grade would claim credit for anything so he did not know whether to believe him or not. :giggle:

In all honesty, it is quite possible Grade would not recognise the film after so long considering all the programs and films he had produced since 1938.

To me, Lew Grade is still the one most likely to have commissioned the film but I think we can assume he did not have a copy. :-q