DjangoBooks.com

Funked-up Double Whisky

adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
edited September 2014 in Welcome Posts: 545
Very nice, refreshing treatment of the melody in this version of "Double Scotch / Double Whisky" by Angelo Debarre:

MichaelHorowitzjazzygtr

Comments

• Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    I love this... change the rhythm, a note here and there and it becomes such a different tune.
    Tim Kliphuis did this recently with Swing 39:
    adrian
    - JG
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Yeah, they played this version at atelier charonne in october. Great stuff
    adrian
  • Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2014 Posts: 459
    I'd like to contribute with this version of "Nuages" by Bireli in 1983. It's got a really driving groove.

Also attached a recording of "Old Man River" feauturing Stéphane Grappelli and Diz Disley, from the album "Live at Corby Festival Hall, May 1975". Stéph recorded this particular arrangement a few times but never as good as this version. The only bad part is that Disley gets a bit carried away with the tempo but the first half is just amazing imo.

edit: Nope. Still can't upload attachments. Says "no file data could be found in your post".
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @Svanis1337
    @Michael Horowitz

had the same problem with audio file

seems to have taken the screen shot

pick on
    pickitjohn
    I came back to this thread to share with Adrian and the others this fantastic recording by Stéphane that I had trouble uploading, he's in extremely good shape during this concert. I can also the recommend Manoir de Mes Reves/Daphné medley from this concert. During Manoir de Mes Reves Stéph ventures into territory so deep and unfamiliar you keep thinking there is no possible way he could get out of it, but he does!!!
    edited August 2014 Posts: 459
    Still get the same problem! Maybe something is wrong with the file.
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    Very nice, certainly not Funk.
  • lostjohnlostjohn Charleston, WV✭✭ Altamira M01
    Regarding the Tim Kliphuis version of Swing 39, that reminds me so much of the early "jazz grass", or "dawg" music of the David Grisman bands of the late 70's/early 80's (for me, the start of what eventually led to my love of GJ music). I could easily hear Tony Rice doing this on guitar, with Darold Anger or Mark O'Conner on violin. Stephane Grappelli also recorded some stuff with that circle of musicians.
  • Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    That does sound like something Rice and Grisman would have done.