DjangoBooks.com

Angelo Debarre's amplified playing

So it seems Angelo has been using a pickup for most of his gigs lately. Seems like most the the other GJ guys still favor the acoustic sound. Anybody know if this is just pragmatic (pickup is easy - minimal feedback)? Or is he emulating Django in his later years with the more electric vibe?

Comments

• Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    I think that if a guy needs to lead a band from the guitar its often convenient to have unlimited volume at your disposal. Its the only way you can control a pickup band. It ain't subtle but it gets the job done. "covers it".
    If there is no monitor system its the only way for the sidemen to hear you, and if you have a drummer and no monitor its definitely the only way the drummer will hear you.
    Same thing with a fiddle , no pickup ? sometimes means you don't get heard. That why on gigs in places like Rumania a violin is almost always electric. On your average gig a party or cafe, you have a pickup.
    Also Angelo is a middle aged guy. Its not uncommon for professional musicians to have hearing loss. Especially tinnitus . Very common. So your dancing on the edge of a sword. The volume hurts but its the only way you can be heard or hear your self.
    Finally the venue sound man may prefer the guitar to have an electro mag pickup for reasons of mic leakage . Its often the straightest path to the goal.
    Which is to play the gig and go home and count your pay.
  • Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    Thanks Al. I figured that was it. I hope he keeps to the natural sound on his records. Hopefully one day I will make it to Paris to hear Angelo before he retires!