DjangoBooks.com

Help with Project

Hey all

I have to arrange a big band chart for a school project.

Looking for suggestions on which tune to use. Maybe preferring something by Django but all ideas gratefully received
The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed

Comments

• ArcticguitarArcticguitar Anchorage, Alaska
    Well I think Douce Ambiance is the most obvious choice (and a great choice) to me that tune sounds like it was imagined for big band and then realized in the quintet format, the intro, and the B section just scream big band to me, and the A section well that just swings so hard it has to work with a big band. A less obvious but equally interesting choice would be manior de mes reves. I think on a tune like that a big band could really explore the dream like harmony and have some fun there too. But I have a thing for the impressionists so I am always in favor of pulling music in that direction.
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    edited January 2014 Posts: 542
    I have a decent library of orchestra charts already arranged if you're interested. For a school project I would think Besame Mucho, Blue Monk, Fascination, La Mer... I don't remember what else is there.
    For what it's worth, I actually have a couple of vintage scores for tunes that Django played with Orchestras... but apart from Nuages they might be too complicated. It is possible I have Melodie au Crepuscule, but I'll have to check.
    Unless you want to arrange them yourself, I'd be happy to share what I can with you.
    - JG
  • JonJon melbourne, australiaProdigy Dupont MD50B, '79 Favino
    Nuages. The chromatic descending lines would open up some good possibilities. Could be harmonised in contrasting ways, in contrary motion or parallel with middle parts...lots of options. It'd be nice to hear that famous whole tone intro arranged for big band too. Do it at a medium tempo appropriate to the era (not too slow) and it'd be great.
  • JonJon melbourne, australiaProdigy Dupont MD50B, '79 Favino
    Joli Gadjo wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I actually have a couple of vintage scores for tunes that Django played with Orchestras...

I would love to see those vintage scores if that was ok.

• Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    What about the Django Symphonique project with Lagrene, Nicolescu and Rosenberg? Has anyone ever seen those scores? This was only a couple of years ago, I assume it will take another 20 years before those become available.
    - JG
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    Check out the recordings of the DR Big Band. They did an album with Adrien Moignard, and I believe they did one with Bireli as well.

They're a big band that plays great arrangements of Django tunes. A simple perusal of their track listings could give you some nice ideas.
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    I actually have a couple of vintage scores for tunes that Django played with Orchestras.

Very interesting! I play the trumpet in a big band (early 1930's idea of big band, 12 piece). Which tunes do you have? Are those arrangements that were recorded? I might be able to convince my orchestra to take up a Django tune or two if there are ready arrangements we could buy.
  • Thanks Everyone....I have to do my own arrangement....but I always wanting to get director scores for arrangements if anyone will share. Do't really need individual parts. Great learning tool reading scores.

Adrian I will check out DR Big Band.
  • Adrian....I searched you tube and google for DR Big band and all I get is the Danish Radio Big Band. Do you hve any links?
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    edited January 2014 Posts: 393
    Info about DR Big band with Adrian Moignard can be found here: Celebrating Django Reinhardt (Djangostation).
    It seems indeed to be the Danish radio band (recorded in Copenhagen). A couple of other "Django music with big band" records are mentioned too.