DjangoBooks.com

Help, my thumb's skin is changing color

steteaksteteak Kern County, California Paris Swing
edited January 2014 in Technique Posts: 50
After playing for some time, I developed a dark spot on the pad of my thumb. My Dr. recommended that I stop playing; however, what does he know because he plays the keys. Have any other musicians developed a dark spot fro usin the thumb to fret the low E? Looking for an educated response.

Steve

Comments

• steteaksteteak Kern County, California Paris Swing
  • If the doc thinks its a bruise...then it would probably be good to stop and let it heal. The relax the thumb when you are playing.

If its not, what is it? I havè never had anything like that.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    He wasn't sure. He wants me to stop playing for a week, and I didn't want to. If the discolration goes down, then he will side with guitar induced. If there is no change then biopsy, which will mean more time without playing.
  • kevingcoxkevingcox Nova Scotia✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    And if it is cancer playing will get even harder... do what the doc says, a week off won't kill you. At the very least put a bandaid on and don't fret with it.
    ( @Jazzaferri and @kevingcox ) Thank you both for your responses. It is concerning to me that no body has ever had this happen. I figured that a Dr. wouldn't see this type of thing very often. Therefore, he is inexperienced in guitar related injuries. But, since other guitarists have not experienced this, my concern is heightened that it might be something else.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 3,707
    Is it in a spot where your thumb is going over the edge of the fretboard or some other pressure point?

If not maybe ask him about some sort of soft protector that will at least enable one to play.

I never use my thumb as it puts my arm in a bad position that leads to wrist problems over time.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    The spot can be broken vessels from my thumb reaching over the neck, but I don't have discomfort like a bruise. Some of the training books recommend using the thumb for some chords. The main progressions that I have been playing are composed of chords using the thumb.
  • kevingcoxkevingcox Nova Scotia✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    I use the thumb a fair bit and have never had this problem. However, we are all different.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Is the neck on your guitar particularly wide or boxy shaped?