DjangoBooks.com

Plectrums for jazz

I've experimented with a lot of picks…now using the Jazz III, which i believe is made by dunlop. Looking up what types of picks Bireli uses, I found the Dugain brand…but I can't imagine spending $20 + on a single pick. I've lost like 30 in the last month…

anyone know a cheaper brand that does what Dugain does?
Tagged:

Comments

• Hmmm...I use blue chip...other end of the financial spectrum....same pick for years....
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 1,231
    In addition to expensive picks, which I normally just use at gigs, I use Dunlop Gators (2.0 mm) at home. I've used these when I first started playing in the style and now have gravitated back to them. They are perfectly fine and relatively inexpensive. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dunlop-Gator-Grip-Standard-Guitar-Picks-110310-i1123519.gc
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    From the Gonzalo Bergara Quartet Facebook page:
    Concerning Gonzalo's new picks available at Djangobooks.com!
    Dunlop 2mm and 1.5mm; $10 for a dozen
    jonpowl: Just curious, as I've heard Gonzalo spends a lot of time practicing, how long a pick lasts for him?
    December 8, 2013 at 9:06am · Like
    The Gonzalo Bergara Quartet: I lose a pick every other day. Thats how long they last! Try them
    Out!
    December 8, 2013 at 3:20pm
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 1,231
    Those GB picks look close to the Gators.
  • If one can not lose picks, blue chip are the best investment. I have over 1500 hours on my current one and comparing it to the brand new spare there is no discernable wear.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    That sounds good! I really like the Wegen picks, but they eventually wear. Perhaps I should see if I can find a way to sharpen the edge again? Anyone else doing this, or do you just buy a new one?
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Just throwing another vote on the fire for the dunlop gator grips 2mm. They sound great, once you realise you gotta hold them sideways. Don't waste your money on expensive picks (lord knows I have ... it ain't worth it)
  • wim...can you upload a quick picture of how you are holding the gator? I've been holding it the "normal" way and it sounds similar
    (or at least a little "thicker") than the Wegen Big City picks.
    Thanks - Jim
  • Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    You can resharpen the Wegen picks , you can use a diamond file or sand paper. Most often I've used a file. Problem is that after they have been resharpened they are smaller. Shorter actually, which is a problem. I like them though. Another pick to try is the 2mm JimDunlop 208. A great pick and not big paper.
    jkaz wrote: »
    Those GB picks look close to the Gators.
    Yeah I was wondering the same. Maybe they are the same picks only with GBQ logo. In which case the price would still be fair.

I use bluechip and swear by it, but would like to have something I can stick in my pocket and have with me at all times, bluechip I only take when I go out to play, be it a band practice, gig or a jam.

I also would like to try Dunlop Ultex in 1.5 or 2mm:
    http://www.amazon.com/Jim-Dunlop-433P200-Ultex-Sharp/dp/B002M2JAAA/ref=pd_sim_MI_4
    only I'd try to round out the tip.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel