DjangoBooks.com

Brass vs Nickel Dupont Tailpiece

steteaksteteak Kern County, California Paris Swing
Does any body have first hand experience with brass and nickel Dupont tailpieces? Is the sound difference worth the $65? Do you feel that a Paris Swing GG 39 is suitable to accept the aftermarket piece? Please any input is appreciated.
Attach Poll

Comments

• pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    Where did you see Dupont tailpieces for $65.00

Probably for a Paris swing guitar I'd go with the saga about $20.00 to $25.00 if it needed it.

I don't think it will change the sound at all. If yours is broke thats one thing. If you don't care for the looks, that's another. It's really an anchor point THE BRIDGE would affect the sound more. When and if the post do fail, then change it. You may wish you had a spare at that time.

Just my $.02

pick on

pickitjohn
  • steteaksteteak Kern County, California Paris Swing
    Thank you John, your input does make sense in my particular position, hoping to upgrade to a luthier constructed guitar. Every penny saved is a penny earned. While I almost fell victim to the "Pimp My Ride" tactic, I am glad that I did not waste my money on a device that would serve no purpose other than looks.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    I'm pretty sure that it won't change the sound (assuming that they are both the same brand of tailpiece, i.e. brass Dupont tailpiece vs. nickel Dupont). The base metal is the same (brass) I would think. The extra money is probably just for the nickel plating.
  • steteaksteteak Kern County, California Paris Swing
    edited December 2013 Posts: 50
    The nickel and brass are made by Dupont, but are the busato stylie. The SelMac is priced much higher. But why if there is no difference between a $150 Dupont and a $20-$25 Saga?
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 3,707
    Changing the tailpiece can make a difference. Try going from a cheap pressed metal to a good solid brass one....if you have a responsive guitar it will make a subtle but noticeable difference IM experience. Quite noticeable difference going to a Benedetto style from a metal tailpiece.

I doubt there would be any detectable difference between the plated and unplated versions except looks, as Bones indicated.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed