DjangoBooks.com

Django in Anvers/Antwerp 29 Dec 1947

BflatBflat New
in History Posts: 37
I've come across the programme for the Quintette's concert in Anvers/Antwerp, Belgium, 29 December 1947. You'll find a pdf attached.

The list of tunes includes something called "Brouillard", which seems to be unrecorded by Django unless under a different title of course.

Also, what's interesting is the scribble of the third page of the programme. I wish to think that someone kept notes during or immediately after the concert.
It's obviously written in Dutch or Flemish. Anyone out there that can decipher & translate to English?
It's just a matter of opinion...

Comments

• BflatBflat New
    are there any more extant Django set lists?
    Let's hope there are & that people post them here!
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    edited December 2013 Posts: 768
    I do not speak dutch but it is obviously a kind of article written down to present the group that played on this event: The HCQ. A small combo that plays 100% jazz with two excellent soloists Grappelly on violin and gypsy Django Reinhardt on guitar in front of an enthusiastic audience.

I think that this kind of presentation was very common in the thirties when a respectable orchestra was supposed to have a well defined program. I think that in 1947 it was just a little bit "square".

Maybe "Brouillard" was only a joke or some gem lost forever... who knows?

Who among us would accept to sell his soul to be present on that 31 December 1947 party?
    I know for sure one of you ready to go there with me!
  • BflatBflat New
    There is a song called Brouillard by a French singer called Damia. It's from an album called 1933/1937, which is available on Spotify. It's a typical French chanson. Could this song have survived another ten years?

Yeah! Sign me up for that New Year party! I'll bring the champagne!
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    spatzo wrote: »
    Who among us would accept to sell his soul to be present on that 31 December 1947 party?
    I know for sure one of you ready to go there with me!

Yes I'm there with you, my soul a thing of the past!!!
  • BflatBflat New
    Teddy, We all know about your collection of Django photos, but don't you also have concert programmes like this one that you could share with us?
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    Count me in too! I don't know anything about Guy Willox and his big band, but they are probably ok to dance to, and it could be fun to hear Django and Stéphane. Do you know if it's possible to pay in euro? Or if they accept cards? I don't have 400 old belgian francs laying around... :-)
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Really cool thanks for that! How great it would have been to see that ...!

@MichaelHorowitz the attachment filenames get munged to some hash .. you can see in the preview that the attachment is "Django Anvers 1947.pdf" but when I download the file it gets an auto-generated name "d0db1247c6039f180b44795d17d295.pdf" are you able to configure the forums to preserve attachment filenames ?
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    @wim there probably is a way to do that. I'll look into it.