DjangoBooks.com

Poll ......Which sax do you like in GJ

13»

Comments

• bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    I think Kenny G has left a permanent bad taste in my mouth. At least these days he can poke fun at himself, though:

• A friend of mine played bass with him when he came to Victoria. He said he actually has pretty amazing jazz chops and came across as quite humble and down to earth.

Excellent golfer too.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    not gypsy jazz, but check out these guys - wow !

Al Watsky
  • Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    I think it depends on the player.
    The small horns are a natural choice. Alto , Soprano but as Jim K. mentioned earlier he works with a sax guy in a GJ band who usually plays Tenor and its fine, but thats that guy, who is a talented ,sensitive professional.
    Not all musicians are sensitive , professional or not.
    I was on a gig a few weeks ago with a Tenor guy who it would seem imagined that he was doing a gig with Tower of Power , not a jazz set with in this case a classical guitarist. The guy was as loud by himself as a quartet. Huffing and puffing , loud as a steam engine.
    That don't work with strings.
    The problem with any of the horns is that they can be so bloody loud that its impossible to blend with them in any way that makes sense if they aren't capable of playing in lower dynamic ranges.
    Chalk and cheese.
    A guitar is not a trombone.
    Even amplified an acoustic guitar does not immediately model a sound that screams power. Its more intimate.
    In early music they classify instruments as to their dynamic range.
    A lute was not in a loud "band" that included brass instruments.
    The acoustic guitar is best heard in the company of other quiet instruments. Other strings for the most part, or wind , recorders , wood winds.
    The guitar is its own little world.
    Meanwhile a folk group I'm in, in which I'm playing a GJ guitar just won an award in Canada for best traditional release of 2015.
    Our bass instrument is a tuba and the percussion is a trap set.
    Go figure.
    No sax though.
    So on this gig you can be sure that there will be times when the strings are inaudible . Even the fiddle player doesn't stand a chance.
    Intimate it ain't .