Using the New Forum

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    edited December 2013 Posts: 6,153
    Buco wrote: »
    @MichaelHorowitz
    Hi Michael,
    a couple of questions:
    when recent discussions are listed, if I mouse over the one at the top I'll get a spoke icon with "options" button. If I click on it it gives me the option to "dismiss".
    I did it once earlier and it dismissed it for sure, ie sent it down to the bottom of the discussions list or something like that, but I still don't get the point of this. Can you explain?.

@Buco It's just a way of removing something from the new posts feed that you're not interested in following. If there's a topic you're not interested in you can dismiss it in favor of other topics you'd like to keep an eye on.

Secondly, and this is more of a suggestion, when you have a discussion opened it shows a list of people who commented with their name as a link. Clicking the name takes you to the user's page. But could you make it so it takes you to that comment?

That is beyond my ability, but if I find a plugin that does that I will add it.

Or is there another way to quickly look up the persons comment in a particular topic? I understand I can go to the user's page and look up their comments but I'm talking something like a single click, more automated action.

I'm in the process of adding a more robust search feature which will allow you to search by user. It works well, but there are a few little bugs that need to be ironed out before I add it.

Oh and I like the "similar topics" listed in a particular topic. But I'm looking for it now and can't see it. Where did it go? I'm sure I saw it last night.

Good to know...that is part of the new search feature. It will add a list of similar topics. I'll try implementing that feature once the new search function goes live.
    All clear.
    Thanks!
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @Michael Horowitz
    Just checking in again about Profile page user comments search. It disappeared, I asked, you replied you had some work happening, came back,
    now it's gone again.
    It really helps get back to older threads when its around, I couldn't even find where I asked about it before.
    Hope to see it again soon.
    Thanks
    pick on
    pickitjohn [-O<
    @pickitjohn I hope to have most of these issues fixed this week, thanks for your patience.
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    Great I love the little pop up that I was mentioned while I was posting somewhere else.
    It all Good and I think it's getting better.
    Thanks again
    pickitjohn
  • Somehow a post I had made ended up in the thread on Argentine Strings. I hadn't even looked at that one til today????
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    @Jazzaferri Not sure how that happened, I may have inadvertently split the topic or my developer may have made a change that resulted in your comment being moved. Regardless, I moved it back, sorry! :oops:
    Jazzaferri
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 3,707
    LOL...no problem Michael...it's usually me so its rather nice to not be the culprit once in a while

I am finding the new format much more enjoyable to use than the old one...even though still learning all the ins and outs.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    @Michael Horowitz Is there a way to filter or search for a Member?
    When I go to members it's all mixed up and I didn't see any search for member feature.
    Enlighten me please
    pick on
    pickitjohn
    @pickitjohn Yes, the advanced search page does have a search by member function: http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/search

The member search option in the form isn't working correctly, but if you use a search operator then it will work. So, for example to search for everything I've said about Wegen Picks, enter "Wegen Picks @user MichaelHorowitz" and select "Extended" as the search type.