DjangoBooks.com

Getting more popular

2»

Comments

That should be great vocalists who sing UNAFFECTED. The same thing with jazz people have a pretty visceral reaction against that jazz affected way of singing. One of my singers sings with a very pure tone and the other is Swiss-French so she sings like Edith Piaf. I've heard a few gypsy jazz acts add a vocalist but they add a jazz vocalist who sings in that "jazz" way which people REALLY don't like (including me).

Also very true in our case.
    We have a vocalist and she gets a lot of the compliments and is at times a reason to get us hired.
    But on the other hand people that have heard us and want to hire us again, sometimes only need the instrumental version of the band so it goes both ways.
    It's interesting that I just told her a couple of days ago that I like her singing because she doesn't put any "effects" on her singing voice, it's unaffected just like you say and that may be a part of people responding very positively to her singing.
    It's nice to hear vocals, even when I was at Django in June it was so nice to hear during jamming someone just start singing a tune instead of taking a solo, so refreshing.

Buco
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel