DjangoBooks.com

Krivo pickup?

2»

Comments

• klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    We normally gig with Ischell Inside Boxes, but last Saturday we encountered horrendous feedback problems with the house PA (for still unexplained reasons) and switched to our Krivos. Feedback went away, volume was improved, and the sound, while somewhat electric, was more than acceptable.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • ihscoutihscout California,Bay Area Ald la brune
    Has anyone tried mounting one of these pickups
    on a D-hole?
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    I just laid it out over Selmer #103, and it should work fine. You'd have to mount it on the bridge side of the sound-hole, and I haven't checked the sound out there, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't work. It would be closer to where you'd be picking, and I don't know if that would affect the sound. My wife's asleep now, but if I get a chance, I'll try it tomorrow and let you know.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • ihscoutihscout California,Bay Area Ald la brune
    Thanks,it would be good to know how this
    pickup performs on a D-hole before I buy one.
  • forresttforrestt San Luis Obispo, CA✭✭ Gitane DG-500 & 1957 Gibson ES-125
    I've played a couple of gigs with my Krivo on my d-hole this month and it actually sounds great. It's less tinny than it sound on my oval-hole.
    The only drawback is that the pickup mounts closer to the bridge than I'd like because of the d-hole. On my ovalhole I put it halfway over the soundhole right against the fretboard. Because of the placement on the d-hole it gets in the way of my picking.
    Besides I really like the Krivo pickups and the way they sound - no feedback!

Forrestt
    The TIpsy GYpsies
    http://www.TheTipsyGypsies.com
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    ihscout--

I put the Krivo on Selmer 103 and it worked just fine. A lot will depend on where you pick, and what kind of neck angle you have. I tried it right at the bridge side of the "D", and it sounded really good, but it was getting whacked by the pick a lot, and made a very audible click when I hit it. I tried moving it back to just in front of the bridge, and it was easiest to play there, but it might take some fiddling with both pickup and amp knobs to get the very best sound, as the string vibrations there are much shorter than up by the sound hole. I put it half way in between and it sounded fine as well, but since the Krivo is a wide pickup, I still smacked the front edge of it with the pick on occasion.

The Selmer has a shorter back and less severe neck angle than most modern guitars, so there isn't a lot of room between strings and body for an imprecise picker like me. I would say that it might be easier to avoid hitting the pickup on a modern d-hole, but I don't have one around to try it on.

The Krivo is a wide but very shallow pickup, and works really well on my vintage guitars, where the strings run much closer to the body more often than not. There seems to be a lot more space between strings and body on modern guitars. One reason I didn't buy the Peche, besides not liking it's electric sound so much, is that it is very tall and narrow, and was clearly designed with modern guitars in mind. I couldn't use it on many of my vintage guitars, because it would foul against the strings. I wanted to test it at a gig last summer, but it couldn't fit under the strings of the guitar I'd chosen.

So it fits, but you'd have to see if you like it with your guitar. I know Michael has a generous trial period with pickups, so you'd be able to test it out, risk free.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
    Where can one get the humbucker? If I'm correct Michael doesn't carry it anymore.

Back in stock:

http://www.djangobooks.com/Item/krivo-django-bucker
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel