DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Related Discussions

Who's Online (0)

Today's Birthdays

Andrew Ulle KoryKilgor kanikajaiswal81

Gitane DG-340 Modele Stephane Wrembel Model

jonpowljonpowl Santa Cruz, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Cigano GJ-10
I have a chance to upgrade my Gitane DG-255 for the DG-340 Stephane Wrembel Model and am looking for feedback from anybody who knows or owns the DG-340. Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks/merci/gracias

Comments

• John418John418
    I got my new about a year and a half ago. I've been playing guitar for a bit over 30 years (rock, blues, jazzy jam stuff) but I was just beginning this style at that time. The guitar has worked quite well for me and I like it more and more over time. It really dislikes extremely dry weather, I've noticed. I really need to keep it humidified this winter.

Depending on how well I'm playing, the tone can really hold up with the best luthier-built guitars I've played over the past few years (mainly at Django in June 2012 and 2013). The tone isn't as barky as some but I wouldn't call it quiet. Other players at DiJ seemed to like it as well. I also really prefer the silver hardware, plain neck style.

I prefer the action over most guitars I've played. I got the guitar from Michael with the special setup by Josh Hegg. I've heard that replacing the stock bridge with a better, fitted one (part of what Josh did) makes all the difference with these guitars. You may have already done this with your Gitane.

I do plan on getting a luthier built guitar at some point. Looking at ALD, Freschi, AJL, Olivier Marin, or Hahl (if I hit the lottery). But with the Wrembel Gitane, and having played a few other supposedly 'better' instruments, I'm really not in any huge rush. I play about 20 hours a week, typically. And it goes without saying, the guitar is still better than me at this point.

John
  • Il TrovatoreIl Trovatore San Jose, CANew
    I also own one of these and bought it brand new, about 2 years ago.
    I was attracted to the sound, the silver hardware, I liked the wood it was made of and I could afford it. I also really like the stepped bridge. I have since replaced the tuners with Schaller silver closed tuners and a new Dupont DR Tailpiece in silver which helped with "hum" of the stock one. The guitar was very "wet" when I first got it but a lot of those over tones have gone way. I love this guitar looks and sound, it does have a very "arch top" sound like Michael put it and I love it.
    _NCD
  • jonpowljonpowl Santa Cruz, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Cigano GJ-10
    Thanks guys, made an offer and haven't heard anything from the seller. I like my Gitane DG-255 and it is in great shape, so I won't be disappointed if I don't get the DG-340. Both guitars play better than I do, so I am in no hurry to upgrade.
    As a total side note, if you ever come over to San Jose to play with me, you can try mine out.
  • fogbernfogbern New
    I'm considering buying a used DG-340 that has become available locally. But as a beginner, I'm thinking a shorter scale guitar might be a better choice. I'm currently playing a 12 fret nylon string hybrid, So this would be my first GJ guitar.Thoughts?
  • BohemianBohemian State of Jefferson✭✭✭✭
    I'm considering selling mine if you are interested.
    Let me know. Great shape, upgraded parts.