DjangoBooks.com

When to look and when not to look?

nixpixnixpix New
edited February 2006 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 17
After a couple of weeks into the Gypsy Picking book, I realized I was looking at my right hand the whole time while doing the first two picking patterns. So I'm trying not to look and focus on my weak points. Do you recommend not looking at all at the right hand from the beginning of a new picking pattern, or should I start each new pattern while looking, then when I'm comfortable stop looking?

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi,

It's probably a good idea to watch what you're doing at first. A mirror is also helpful...it will help you see if you're flattening out your wrist, touching the bridge, or tensing up.

Of course, you'll eventually want to be able to do it without looking. But it's good to be hyper aware of what you're doing during the 1 st few months.

Good luck!

'm
  • nixpixnixpix New
    Thanks Michael. For a minute I was feeling bad because I have to look to play the strings accurately. And the mirror thing is a good idea. I'm going to try that. :)