DjangoBooks.com

Django autumn leaves

edited October 2013 in History Posts: 3,707
Does anyone know if he recorded or performed this song?

Students at the conservatory keep asking questions I can't answer.
The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed

Comments

• CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    I am pretty sure he recorded it, I have seen it on a compilation, but it was the french title (les feuilles mortes) I think it was recorded sometime in the late 40's. Maybe even part of the Rome Sessions. Although I am not positive.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    He certainly never recorded it but we can't be certain whether he ever played it or not. He definitely played tunes he never recorded.

I have always been surprised he did not recorded "Autumn Leaves". It is such a lovely tune and would have been perfect for him.
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    WASO did a terrific recording of Les feuilles mortes. And that's probably as close you get to a Django recording of it :wink:
  • I just checked my Rome recording box and it's not listed.
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    Jazzaferri wrote:
    I just checked my Rome recording box and it's not listed.
    That's because he never recorded it. :roll:
  • Thanks Teddy. I responded to that post and then read the rest of them and had I not been impatient would have saved myself a post :D
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Thanks Teddy. I went and checked the disc last night and there is no recording of it. I think I confused it with all the things you are, although I have no idea why.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 4,736
    Huh I could swear I heard Django's version of it.
    I hear this little embellishment lick playing in my head as I write this, that he plays as the head is being played by I think clarinet.
    I'll go through my CDs tonight and try to figure out what I'm thinking off.

B
    edit: never mind, it was the Songe d’Automne I was thinking of. My confusion came from the version of it that was performed in my old country with lyrics written for it that start with "autumn leaves have already fallen...".
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • JIMIJIMI New
    I don't think he ever recorded autumn leaves but there is a improvisation that goes thru the same progression,... this might b what you r talking about??...................
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ySbx4u8QSI
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    CalebFSU wrote:
    I think I confused it with all the things you are, although I have no idea why.
    They are often played at a similar tempo, the melodies of both tunes moves with quarter notes or longer notes and they both contain plenty of II V I progressions. So there are many similarities. I too got the idea that Autumn Leaves might be there somewhere in the Rome sessions but realised that I must have thought of All The Things You Are.