DjangoBooks.com

New CD: Marcel Azzola - 3 Temps Pour Bien Faire

MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
edited February 2006 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 6,153

Comments

• CuimeanCuimean Los AngelesProdigy
    This disc is sooooooo good. Strictly speaking, it's not "gypsy jazz," but it has deep roots in musette and features some killer guitar and accordion work. If you want to hear some original tunes that push at the boundaries while remaining eminently listenable, buy this CD.
  • trumbologytrumbology San FranciscoNew
    Cuimean wrote:
    Strictly speaking, it's not "gypsy jazz," but it has deep roots in musette and features some killer guitar and accordion work. If you want to hear some original tunes that push at the boundaries while remaining eminently listenable, buy this CD.

Sounds good. What's the instrumentation, and could you describe the rhythmic feel?

Cheers,

Neil

EDIT: I see on AMG that it's a trio, guitar, bass, accordion, and that it was recorded between 1982 and 1986. And Marc Fosset (who I haven't seen mentioned much online in the usual Django places) was a longtime accompanyist for Grappelli. I thought I recognized the name; I used to own 'Stephanova' many years ago, before I was listening to Django (!).

n
  • CuimeanCuimean Los AngelesProdigy
    I posted a review in this section a couple of weeks ago, but I can't remember if I addressed the rhythmic feel of the CD. Honestly, it's all over the place. There are several straight musette waltzes, some musette waltzes with more modern harmonies, a biguine-type piece (think Amestoy Trio), a tango, a kind of soul jazz sounding tune, and some that are difficult to classify (think Guy Klucevsek or Tin Hat Trio). There's no real straight 4/4 swing here but plenty of other interesting stuff. It wouldn't be out of place next to a Galliano CD, but these guys feel more like a "band"; there's some really fun musical conversation happening here.

Oh, and Azzola's tune "Double Scotch", which also appears on the new Marcel Loeffler CD, is here as well.

Hope that helps.

- Rod