DjangoBooks.com

1953 Maccaferri G-40 For Sale

Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
edited October 2013 in Classifieds Posts: 1,002
I really hate to do this, but I am offering up my plastic Mac G-40 for sale. This was the top of the plastic Mac line, with a heavy metal tailpiece, metal frets, and better tuning keys than on the lower models. This guitar is as close to mint as a 61 year old guitar could be, with the tag and rope strap still attached. Nothing is missing except for three of the little plastic plugs, two on the back of the headstock, and one on the back of the neck. It is otherwise perfect, and plays better than most of my vintage gypsy guitars. I've seen these go in the high-900's on e-bay, but I want to keep this in the family. It comes with a Cordoba gig bag, of good quality. You will never find a better example. Asking $725 plus shipping. I really want this to find a good home.

Please PM or e-mail me if interested.
I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    PM sent
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Bones, thanks for the PM heads up about the pics. I use a Mac, which is like showing up at an F1 race with a John Deere tractor. Pics should be fixed (I hope), and I'll get the pics in the other posts fixed as well.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    These guitars are so cool. I've got one that was left behind for safekeeping by a former bandmate who moved away. They actually sound pretty amazing for soloing (not so much on rhythm) - he recorded his solo on one track of our second CD with his plastic Mac. They're also great travel guitars and perfect for the beach or for getting in some practice on your sailing trip. Get yourself a wacky piece of guitar history!
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • twodogs9twodogs9 New

I realize it's 6 years later but I just acquired one of these beauties and I have questions about strings. What strings did you use? Were they ball ends or loop?

I was put on Argentine ball end lights but was thinking of using mediums based on the very short scale and because the sound is a bit thin. Any suggestions?

I can tell you that she's a really sweet instrument. I got her for the office because she's not affected by temperature or humidity that much and I'm having lots of fun playing her. Very different sound than the round-hole flat tops (dreadnaughts, etc.) that I usually play.

Thank you.

Jay

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    edited August 2019 Posts: 959

I had one of these a while back, in excellent original condition, but now moved on because I found I was not playing it much.  I found the neck and frets a bit uncomfortable which was one reason I rarely played it, but I have to say they have a fantastic tone, brighter than a SelMac with a hint of Dobro; as Klaatu said, not suitable for rhythm but great for leads, I had wondered about trying to make a better neck but never got around to it, if anyone has done that I would love to know how they got on.  As for strings twodogs9, I seem to remember I just used regular 80/20 bronzes, I suspect the Argies might sound 'thin', but I would be reluctant to try anything heavier than 11s as I know a common weakness for these was the tuners pulling out of the headstock which would crack and come unglued.

• twodogs9twodogs9 New

Thanks for the words, Chris.

The fretboard is a bit crowded feeling around the bass strings but I was thinking that was just my sloppy folkie playing style.

I currently have her at the guitar tech to try & dress out a slight notch in the 0 fret, reset the tailpiece (someone moved it forward a bit) and try out a set of Argie 11s.

I kind of like the tone, even for rhythm. Thin, yes, but not as bad as another guitar I have - a Jay Terser Eagle - which has very little bass. Tight sounding.

I may call the tech tomorrow and suggest that he stick with the 10s that I left with him instead of putting on 11s.

Jay

• Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!

Plastic Macs were not intended to use Argies at all. Mine came with bronze phosphorous strings on it. Not sure of the gauges, but they are pretty heavy.

Dude, it's your 1000th post. Pour yourself a scotch and I hope you're doing well.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

It's been awhile! I am well as can be. Hope you are, too. Still remember walking down the street and seeing you sitting in a restaurant. we nodded, but I had no idea that that was the last time we'd see each other.

Buco

I might visit in October, I'll make it a point to get in touch.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel