Logo
Call Us
Categories

DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Today's Birthdays

asura Simon Terrell himmelstrutz

Related Discussions

Who's Online (2)

• DarrenKingUK 6:20PM
  • larryl 6:20PM

Avalon Jazz band have a clarinet player...

AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Musicalia, Bucolo et. al.
edited October 2013 in Woodwinds
One of my favourite vocal-led French-swing bands, New York's "The Avalon Jazz Band"
[they are all *SO* young and good-looking :shock: ]
have added a clarinet player - who's name i don't know but he SWINGS ;-)

|\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
/,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
|,4- ) )-,_ ) /\
'---''(_/--' (_/-'

Comments

• That's putting it mildly :mrgreen: .....another Evan Christopher in the making ??
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Ted GottsegenTed Gottsegen Rowayton, CTModerator
    His name is Adrian Cummingham. He's from Australia and one of the brightest up and coming cats in NYC. He played with Lollo at I last year. He also plays and records with Wycliff Gordon, Baby Soda, Gordon Webster and others. If you think he's good on clarinet, you should hear him on tenor. :D
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Musicalia, Bucolo et. al.
    Thanks for the info,Ted, he sounds mighty fine.

here's Adrian Cunningham on an old jazz standard some of you might know :-)

|\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
    /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
    |,4- ) )-,_ ) /\
    '---''(_/--' (_/-'
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Musicalia, Bucolo et. al.
    Jazzaferri wrote:
    That's putting it mildly :mrgreen: .....another Evan Christopher in the making ??
    As an aside, Jazzaferri, when I listen to Adrian's solo, I'd say he has been studying or studying-with another top New York based clarinet & tenor guy, Ken Peplowski.
    |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
    /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
    |,4- ) )-,_ ) /\
    '---''(_/--' (_/-'
  • Interesting Andy....is it his phrasing that gives you that impression?

I am currently studying with Monik Nordine who is a wonderful soprano /alto/flute player. Her lines are quite uniquely her.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Ted GottsegenTed Gottsegen Rowayton, CTModerator
    AndyW wrote:
    Jazzaferri wrote:
    That's putting it mildly :mrgreen: .....another Evan Christopher in the making ??
    As an aside, Jazzaferri, when I listen to Adrian's solo, I'd say he has been studying or studying-with another top New York based clarinet & tenor guy, Ken Peplowski.

I've been friends and played with Adrian steadily since I moved back to NYC; (I'm the one that introduced him to Avalon) and even lived in his room when he was on tour and I was between situations. He has worked his ass off playing in every possible situation: swing, New Orleans style street bands, funk, rock whatever. He's almost always practicing in some way or another. I'm sure he's played with Ken, but never studied with him.