DjangoBooks.com

Stochelo's sliding octave chord?

StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
edited August 2013 in Licks and Patterns Posts: 349
What's the deal on the sliding "octave style" chords that Stochelo and many others use so effectively? Seems to be: 6,X,5,X,8,7... with the root on the D and B string (G in this example)...but may be wrong on this as the Bb on the low E string doesn't make sense, or does it? He uses this fingering, or close to it, in a lot of YouTube clips. Seems to based on an octave on the D and B strings?
:roll:
Swang on,

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Yeah, good question. I saw Ninne Garcia at the Chope aux Puces in Paris and he used this fingering a lot, too... when I play octaves they don't look anything like that!
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    Could you share an example YouTube video that has this in it? I'm curious -- this isn't ringing a bell for me.

Adrian
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    the inner fingers aren t actually pushing down on the frets, they re used to block unwanted strings, the reasons are twofold:

1) obviously to mute unwanted strings
    2) to get a stronger tone, by whacking all the strings with the picking hand
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, here's an example (at about 1.36). I guess if the root is on the D and B strings, you also have a 3rd on the high E string and a flat 3rd (or sharp 9) on the low E. Whatever. It sounds pretty good when they slide this fingering up and down the board. Maybe as Dennis says, most are muted except the octaves and 3rd. Sorry, I couldn't embed this... I think it's the .be preventing it.
    Swang on,

http://youtu.be/IIRGm447xU0
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    Steveareno wrote:
    Maybe as Dennis says, most are muted except the octaves and 3rd.

there is no maybe, i'm 100% correct :wink::wink::wink::wink: .. that's how octaves should be played for the roundest tone... wes played them like that too... and so did django , you can hear it in the attack of his recordings
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    edited August 2013 Posts: 349
    Here's another example: at 0.32- 0.34. Sorta got the Wes Montgomery octave thing going on, with a bit more added oomph;

Swang on,

http://youtu.be/6b6ZEF0n0ec
  • I learned to play octaves with only one stringin between using 1 on the lowwr string and 3 on thoe upper and muting in between. Same idea as discussed here just different fingerings.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hey Steveo,

I think in that Youtube example they are just regular octaves. He's fretting only the index finger and pinky. The other fingers are just damping the open strings so that they don't ring.

Is that the question?
  • AmundLauritzenAmundLauritzen ✭✭✭✭
    Stochelo always uses fingers 1 and 4 for the octaves. I know that from having studied his style for a long time. I've never seen an exception. This is the most efficient way to play octaves. Very relaxing for the left hand and this makes it more convenient to mute with the other fingers.

Don't strike all the strings when playing, just the strings involved. The string in the middle that is muted will naturally be struck as well, this is inevitable when you strike the strings in one motion. But it is never heard if you know how to mute correctly.

It takes some practice to be able to play octaves relaxed, cleanly and accurately.
    The best way is to learn as many solos as possible using octaves and practice them from VERY slow to fast. Or you can pick out Djangos octave licks from his solos and practice those in all keys. That's a great exercise.
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    denis is right. these are just the usual octaves.. and you should be able to tell with your ear that it's just the octaves. move along, nothing to see here :lol: