DjangoBooks.com

WTB Stimer reissue pickup

dontanmandontanman ✭✭
edited June 2013 in Classifieds Posts: 33
I'm in the market looking to buy one of the Dupont reissue stimer pickups. I've been getting a nagging to purchase one, but the new pickups are too damn expensive. If anyone has a one lying around that they no longer use and are willing to sell at a discount let me know!

You can either PM me or just reply to the thread and we can work out payment and shipping details.

Thanks,
J

Comments

• dontanmandontanman ✭✭
    Thanks for the link but I'd rather not fuss with vintage pickups. I've had bad experiences with vintage dearmonds and floating humbuckers in the past. I'll keep an eye on that though.
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Don't rule out a Peche al la Mousche pickup. I tried one today for the first time, and it was really good. Better than a Stimer, IMHO.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Don't rule out a Peche al la Mousche pickup. I tried one today for the first time, and it was really good. Better than a Stimer, IMHO.
  • dontanmandontanman ✭✭
    Michael,

What is it about the peche that makes it your preference? Soundwise how does it differ from the stimer? I've been on a bebop kick lately and instead of buying an archtop I'd like to get a magnetic pickup. Is the peche more or less transparent sounding?

Ted,

So you're saying that the stimer sound is different betweent the reissues and the old ones? How so? I'm after a Maurice ferre/ late django sound for bebop style stuff. Are there any other pickups at a cheaper price point that could get that sound. I play a favino copy too so I'm halfway there i guess!

By the way---what kind of amps work best with this pickup. I'm assuming for purists, only tube will do but I've heard they work great with solid states as well. My
    40w fender tube amp might be a bit much so I was thinking of getting a cheap old gibson tube amp from the bay.

Best,
    J
    J--

First, Ted knows far more about Stimers than I do. I have never had the good fortune to play a vintage one, but I do admit I am not fond of the late Django sound. Alot of that may be due recording techniques at that time. I have consistently heard that the reissue Stimers sound alot different than vintage ones, and I generally believe just about anything Guru Ted says, so maybe I really would like an old one.

At our gig last night, I played through a Krivo/Schertler Unico, but earlier at the house, we put the Krivo and Peche head to head. Both are excellent, and while I probably leaned slightly toward the Krivo's sound in a short test, our bass player was decidedly in favor of the Peche. The Peche is solidly made, and the volume knob on the pickup is a real plus. I had to keep turning around to change volume on the amp at the gig. One of my bandmates tried the Peche and he was able to make small adjustments. It was a rowdy bar environment, so that was a big plus.

I was comparing the Peche to the reissue Stimer in my earlier comments, and I should have been more clear. It seems I am going to have to visit Ted and try his Stimer. I'm betting he'd improve my rhythm playing substantially as well.

Ted, I have a 1937 Gibson EH-150 amp. I'll bet that would mate well with a vintage Stimer pickup. If you are ever in Chicago again, let's try it out.
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    Ted is spot on regarding vintage vs. Reissue Stimers. I have owned both and found the original to be a better pickup. In fact, I sold my Dupont reissue to Ted! (do you still have that one , Ted?)

I eventually sold my vintage one as well. Like the reissue, it was unbalanced, and the overly hot B string bugged me. I have one of the balanced Miller reissues. It is weak compared to the original, but I find it more useful than the other two.

Frankly, I'd rather play an archtop in any case. If anyone has an interest in the Miller, shoot me a PM.

Cheers,

Marc
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • dontanmandontanman ✭✭
    Thanks guys for the input (no pun intended). It just goes to show the wealth of knowledge on this site. I'm going to think about the vintage one. I was browsing some old threads and the same replies came back. People enjoyed the sound of the old ones alot better than the reissue. It's like a Les Paul PAF; the pickup either gets better with age or has a sound that no one has been able to closely replicate yet.

Michael,
    I agree the late Django sound is an acquired taste. As a matter of fact, I don't know if I like it that much either. I think I tend to like the players that replicate his late sound---Maurice Ferre's work with Jacques Montagne, Mondine and Ninine Garcia, etc. Recording techniques were better then, lending itself to the clearer sound. As a matter of fact, anyone who played at La Chope has the sound I'm looking for!
    Selmer 862 has three pairs of holes that were filled in right where a pickup would be. Rodrigo Shopis had a vintage Stimer in tow last year at Django in June, and we lined it up with the holes. It was a perfect match, and I am guessing that it was moved twice after the initial installation to get that balance Ted is talking about.

And Ted, I am as well as an old man can be. We had a great gig last night and kept the crowd dancing and drinking. I just finished packing the car for the trip to Northampton. Going to grab a couple of hours of sleep and leave in the wee hours, driving straight to Mazzolenis to play with his newest toys, which are several since I was there in November. I'll be at Lark Street Music Monday morning . Too bad you are on the far side of the City. If you can get there, lunch is on me. Or sneak up to Northampton and I'll, pay you for a lesson.I have managed to break the previous record by stuffing 11 guitars into the Mini. It is now as tight as a Formula 1 cockpit inside.
  • dontanmandontanman ✭✭
    Ted---great to know we share a similar sound aesthetic! I love that sound. I live in Long Island and I noticed you're from LIC? We should jam sometime. Funny you say that about string height. That's close to my exact action now. It's strange, I think of alot of the players from the "southern school" as having rediculously high action in the 4+ range. I tried emulating that for a while and while the sound was there, lets just say it wasn't the easiest on my fingers. It's good to know Ninine's take on it.

Michael--- I can't picture drilling holes in a guitar, let alone a selmer! It seem to be a common practice way back though; tchan tchous favino comes to mind with the filled holes from a pickup mount on the top. I guess he really wanted an electric!