DjangoBooks.com

any relation to the master?

slowlearnerslowlearner ✭✭
edited May 2013 in History Posts: 39
I was goofing off last night and stumbled upon a more than a few YouTube videos of Noe Reinhardt.
Is he related to Django?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUZfv73ZkKc

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    they're all related, it's one big family tree... but otherwise, no , there's no direct relation
  • Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    I thought Noe was Babik's son.
    you thought wrong my friend haha

reinhardt is a very common surname among gypsies.... and it sometimes becomes even more complicated because in some instances they ll take their mother s maiden name, or switch between them as they please, hence holzmano lagrene and holzmano winterstein... django himself was a weiss... spelled vées because the gypsies tend to write phonetically and use the local pronounciation (in this case french)...

btw this is going off topic, but it leads me to my next point, michael dregni claims that the name django means i awake, a lot of my gypsy friends dont acknowledge this... i actually do know the word for i awake... it actually depends on the dialect but there is indeed one dialect where they do say Django, but with a very distinct pronounciation : gi (as in giant) n' go... now djsngo himself never pronounced his name this way nor do the gypsies... they pronounce it djean (as in the frnch name jean) go... django was fluent in romanes as are many of my gypsy friends, when they pronounce tchavolo schmitt, they use the gypsy pronounciation with an emphasis on the A ... Tchavolo comes from the word tchavo which means boy...

so why do the gypsies use gypsy pronounciation for tchavolo but not for django ( if it really means i awake?) .... i havent asked too many of my gypsy friends but i be asked enough who didnt ackowledge that django came from i awake... some were cautious to say they re not sure... i ll keep asking until i get to the ottom of this...

the only 2 people to claim that it comes from i awake happen to be gadje (non gypsies) , michael dregni and another young fellow i know who s trying to learn the gypsy language...

hmmm, i usually dont ask these questions because thengypsies tend to be protective of their culture and i dont want to appear insensitive, but now that i m curious, i ll keep asking til i figure it out... they re usually very open w me though
    Very interesting. I'm intrigued by the Gypsy culture. But there's no Gypsies to hang out with in my neck of the woods!

So do the younger generations hold Django in the same high esteem as the current ones? I think I saw that Stochelo's son is a rapper!
    ya his son is into Gangster rap...

The Sinti youth are generally not interested in jazz, they consider it to be old people music... and well they're not wrong hahahaha.... it's mostly about video games, hip hop, RnB, and stuff like that

If they do get interested in jazz guitar , it usually happens a bit later , ritary , yorgui loeffler, chriss campion, all pikced up the guitar when they were 14-16 for example...

There are still kids keeping the flame alive though, so all is not necessarily lost

these kids are barely 18-19 (From the east of france)

13 yrs old

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    one of my all time favs ... cherry reinhardt's rhythm, this kid has the best funk groove going

Dennis,

Do you think Gypsy culture is changing somewhat these days? Looking at some of Isaac Rosenberg's raps he seems to be reacting to "antitziganism". Are the Sinti marginalized to a significant degree in Europe?

It seems like a great heritage, and one worth preserving.