DjangoBooks.com

What guitar is Django playing in the J'Attendrai clip?

1235»

Comments

• TollundmandenTollundmanden DenmarkNew
    Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I just went through the F. Charle book and found something potentially interesting. On page 198 Louis Gallo is pictured with an oval hole guitar with the same fingerboard extension found on the J'attendrai guitar. It's hard to tell from the picture whether it is the shorter scale or even if it is a Selmer the guitar. But who knows, it might be a similar transitional model like the one Django played. The Gallo guitar does appear to have a slightly bigger sound hole than on a normal Selmer...
    I did a little digging, and it seems that Louis' son Ray still has the guitar; He can be seen and heard playing it in this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBF2vqfifQs
    I too, have been fascinated with the J'attendrai guitar for a long time. The concept of a 14 fret short scale on an oval hole body, sounds perfect for a rhythm player; better playability for advanced chordal work, and a warmer sound with fewer overtones.