DjangoBooks.com

Mix critique/feedback please

kungfumonk007kungfumonk007 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2013 in Recording Posts: 421
The sound I really like is Gonzalo's, but I don't think I'll quite get there with out having his guitar, but any tips or feedback would be appreciated. I think mixing just solo guitar is kind of more difficult than mixing a full band because it is so exposed.

If your youtube account isn't set automaticall to 1080 hd you can set it manually.

Comments

• MaximusVolumusMaximusVolumus ✭✭ Holo
    I feel like the lead's a bit too loud, and the reverb is a little overpowering (which is good if that's the effect you want). Other than that, sounds great! Keep playing -Max O'-
  • kungfumonk007kungfumonk007 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm feelin' a little neurotic, never done the whole mix myself except on demos and solo guitar is sooo much harder than a full band (not as hard as steel drum orchestras though :) ).

Here is another option. I turned down the lead a little and did take down some of the reverv (I am trying to go for something of a dreamy effect) and made it brighter. I don't know which I like best though.

Again, switching to 1080 I think is helpful.
    In general the recording sounds beautiful, those are nice sounding guitars and wouldn't worry about Gonzalo's sound 'cause your sound can stand on it's own.

I don't know what your inspiration is for this piece but it reminds me of Macedonian folk music and I like it a lot.

Now to your original request, I was gonna say I liked the 1st mix better, but that I liked the sound of the lead guitar better on 2nd. Then I realized that you're probably playing that bass note on accompanying guitar and at first I thought that bass note is a part of your lead. So this is maybe overstepping of what you asked for but I'd try to make make that bass note your lead guitar part and leave the lead stronger in the mix, like in the 1st mix. I liked that it was more kind of authoritative and accompanying guitar was more for a moody effect and giving harmony to the lead but in an unassuming way.

I'd love to hear the whole thing by the way.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • kungfumonk007kungfumonk007 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks - it is actually Erik Satie's Gnossiene #1. I did a couple other mixes from that session with a whole group and they were relatively easy. I didn't realize how difficult just solo guitar is, it's just so exposed you have no where to hide. Thanks for the feedback.