DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Related Discussions

Who's Online (0)

Today's Birthday

abepollack

Schertler DYN-G: First honest review?

2»

Comments

• mitch251mitch251 marylandNew
    First, let me make clear that I am not really a gear guy and I never have been. When my fellow guitarists start going off about the wattage of their amps, the kind of tubes, what brand pickup they use, etc. I am usually baffled about how people can tell the difference.

I am not much of a gear guy either That being said I just plugged my
    new Scherfler pickup into my new Scherfler Unico amp and without much fuss
    at all it sounded great !!!!!! No more quacking! Not to mention I got to put a unfettered bridge on my guitar which made my DellArte sound louder and better than it allready did. I still havent gigged with it yet and I know thats where the rubber meets the road, but man what a great start. The amp has a mike input so I figure I can run a mike through it as well and send that to the board . I will control my own sound ! A great Guitar A great pickup and A great amp
    What a Swingin Thing
    Thanks Tom
  • TenorClefTenorClef UKNew
    I've posted this question else where but this subject seems relevant. I purchased a Schertler Dyn-G from this site and use a AER Alpha (the baby 40watt model) and when i attach it to my Gitane DG250M i struggle to get much more than a 1/4 vol out of the amp with out having to deal with feedback issues. This makes it hard to get solos much over the drums, comping is fine but solos are a struggle to come through.

Any tips on how to get a bit more out of the AER???
    Currently-Gitane 250M
    Previously-Gitane 255
    Previously- Gitane D500
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    If the DYN-G is going to feedback, it usually happens around 180Hz. Try rolling the bass off on your amp.

The best solution would be to use the PRE AII which has a Reson control. That notches out 180Hz, thereby dramatically reducing feedback. It also dries the sound up very nicely.

In general the DYN-G and AER amps are not the ideal combination. The DYN-G works well through most other amps and PA systems. The AER seems to do best with piezo type pickups...it seems to have a fairly radical EQ built into it that reduces the harshness and quackiness of a piezo. But if you run a different pickup through the AER that EQ seems to have a negative effect.
    [quote="

In general the DYN-G and AER amps are not the ideal combination. The DYN-G works well through most other amps and PA systems. The AER seems to do best with piezo type pickups..quote]

Well the irony for me is that i bought the AER (ok my wife bought me it) because i thought it would be the ideal companion for the Schertler Dyn-G and acoustic based instruments. I can see this being a bit like how long is a piece of string and how much money can we throw at it..........any way to cut a long storey short i re-read through this thread and took some of the advice on board and i can see that it is possible to get a little more out of my AER by ensuring it is placed facing away from my guitar i can now get the volume to 50% whilst the Master is set to 1/4 which means the guitar has at least 2 to 3 times its own acoustic volume. The amp is still really under worked and the sound is ok i guess, a lot less coloured than my old Marshall Acoustic 50AS but still not really a true reflection of the acoustic signal. I guess as the AER supports phantom power putting a condenser microphone into the XLR input would provide the cleanest signal, i have'nt tried this yet. But hell the Schertler Dyn-G cost me a lot of cash so this pickup should be better than a £50 Condenser mic, if not, what the hell are we doing???
    Currently-Gitane 250M
    Previously-Gitane 255
    Previously- Gitane D500
    TenorClef wrote:
    [quote="

In general the DYN-G and AER amps are not the ideal combination. The DYN-G works well through most other amps and PA systems. The AER seems to do best with piezo type pickups..quote]

Well the irony for me is that i bought the AER (ok my wife bought me it) because i thought it would be the ideal companion for the Schertler Dyn-G and acoustic based instruments. I can see this being a bit like how long is a piece of string and how much money can we throw at it..........any way to cut a long storey short i re-read through this thread and took some of the advice on board and i can see that it is possible to get a little more out of my AER by ensuring it is placed facing away from my guitar i can now get the volume to 50% whilst the Master is set to 1/4 which means the guitar has at least 2 to 3 times its own acoustic volume. The amp is still really under worked and the sound is ok i guess, a lot less coloured than my old Marshall Acoustic 50AS but still not really a true reflection of the acoustic signal. I guess as the AER supports phantom power putting a condenser microphone into the XLR input would provide the cleanest signal, i have'nt tried this yet. But hell the Schertler Dyn-G cost me a lot of cash so this pickup should be better than a £50 Condenser mic, if not, what the hell are am i doing???
    Currently-Gitane 250M
    Previously-Gitane 255
    Previously- Gitane D500