DjangoBooks.com

Stochelo phrase from "Shine"

2»

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    Hi Hemert,

Thanks for the explanation as I don't have any theory training. It sort of makes sense to me (I know how to play the chord inversions since I am mostly a rhythm player) but I don't understand the theory. That's ok, I'll think about it and memorize it and maybe in the future I will understand it. :)

I know that is a big limitation that I have since I just learned by finding/learning the chords that go with songs and not actually studying the theory.

Now I am trying to learn to solo and I really don't know THAT theory!
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    Figured bass analysis is usually only used in classical music, at least here in North America. It's definitely useful in learning to understand the principles of voice leading but of course nothing beats training the ears and listening to good musicians!
  • AmundLauritzenAmundLauritzen ✭✭✭✭
    Here's the lick that preceedes the last one I uploaded. Typical Stochelo with diminished on the dominants, minor arpeggio with the 9th added on the A minor chord and the slide up to tritone sub the G7.

Sorry for the illogical order of these licks as this one is played before the previous one I posted. When I have notated the final transcription of the whole solo, everything should fall into place.
    It takes some time as I don't do much literal transcription. I mostly learn by ear and can't be bothered with writing it down. But transcriptions is a good way to share hard work with others so they can learn from it too. This particular solo of Stochelos is so awesome that I just have to tab it down :D

More licks coming as I get them notated!
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Thanks Amund. I'm really getting a lot out of these transcriptions (and those on the RA). I think that studying Stochelo's style is really valuable for a lot of reasons. Although it is way beyond my level right now for solo guitar, it shows me a good path and what is possible if I put in the time.

I know what you mean about writing transcriptions down. It is time consuming but a great way to share.

Actually, I also write them down for myself just in case I don't play one for a long time and then I have something to help remember if I forget part of it. I'm not very careful about accurately notating the 'feel' since that is hard/impossible to do but as long as I have the pitches mostly correct if I come back and look at it a year later it helps me to remember. After I do all the hard work/time to figure out a solo that I particularly like I don't want to take a chance on having to do it again later.

Plus, I always pick solos that I REALLY like and to have a transcription of it is so precious to me. I always think back to when I really had not the slightest clue how Django was playing any of it so now when I have transcribed something it is so rewarding. Having it written down is like a record of that work that I did to figure it out.