DjangoBooks.com

Practice Schedule Help Request

13»

Comments

I agree the one thing that really improved my technique the most was practicing Waltzes (and even though they are in 3/4 time they are a lick database for 4/4 tunes, too). I started with Dolores (Denis Chang's transcription) and then spent 3 months on La Gitane :) I use transcriptions a lot but as Stochelo Rosenberg highlighted in an interview one should not entirely rely on etude-solos as the tempo played at a jam may well be different from the tempo on which the etude is based on (which is why Stochelo eventually started developing his own solos as opposed to just playing Django solos, which he said he did when he started out), so mixing ideas from transcriptions + arpeggios and other licks is for me the way forward. And, there is another cliche saying that I think makes a lot of sense: Amateurs practice to get it right, professional players practice to never get it wrong :)