DjangoBooks.com

Opinion wanted on Paris Swing

Hello All,

Long time lurker but first post here !

Does anyone have an honest opinion on the Paris Swing guitars sold in DB's store ? Michael's video is quite short and I've seen another video where it sounds rather 'folky', doesn't sound authentic.

I know Altamiras are better but I'm on a budget :?

thanks

Comments

• TimmyHawkenTimmyHawken Lansing,MINew
    My opinion is that they're good, but not great. I really didn't like the neck, which has a very flat back, but they sound just about as good as any other Asian import, more or less. I would either save for Altamira (I have a Manouche, which is basically the same and it's great) or go cheaper and get a Cigano, which also aren't great, but pretty darn good for the price. I have a Cigano D-hole guitar, it's pretty amazing how good it is for being under $400.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I really didn't like the neck, which has a very flat back

That is true, but to be fair they were copying the traditional Favino style neck which also has a flat back so if you like the old style Favino necks then it's great.
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    My opinion is that they're good, but not great. I really didn't like the neck, which has a very flat back, but they sound just about as good as any other Asian import, more or less. I would either save for Altamira (I have a Manouche, which is basically the same and it's great) or go cheaper and get a Cigano, which also aren't great, but pretty darn good for the price. I have a Cigano D-hole guitar, it's pretty amazing how good it is for being under $400.

I second on the Cigano. One of my jam-mates plays on one, and I'm kind of mind-blown by the quality of his box, given its selling price - seriously good value for money spent. Light guitar, dry tone, perfect guitar as a teaching tool, in my opinion. I'm also struck by the easy touch of surface finish - compared to his Cigano, my 300 is varnished for seaworthiness. Perhaps the only issue I have with the Cigano is the thinness of the neck - but I think that's just because the only guitar I've played for any length of time is my 300, which is a meatier neck than the Cigano, so it's what I'm used to.

I know at least one person who uses the Cigano for his band-gigs. Anyway, a second vote for putting the Cigano in for consideration.

Edit: I also second Tim's logic. I know I went through this - wanting to move up from my 300, but a luthier instrument scared the more sensible voice in my head. :D A friend gave good counsel, in my opinion. When you're ready to move on from a "starter" guitar, you'll know it. And at that point, it's difficult for him (and now I) to recommend going to something like the Paris Swing - as he described it, more of a lateral move, than a commitment to a markedly finer guitar. In other words, ready to truly move on.

Each to their own, of course, but I'm really glad I took this counsel, and waited until I was ready to take the plunge and buy a fine guitar (I have a Rodrigo Shopis, D-Hole Favino style in the works...can't wait!). As has been shown and said on the forum many times, if gypsy kids can make a virtual cigar box sound great, well...lots of miles can be laid down on a low-cost guitar. And when you're ready to commit to a true upgrade, you'll know.

Just my $0.02, of course. Good luck, with whatever you do.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • BamboloBambolo New
    thanks for your inputs, it really helps !

the thing is that I am an experienced player in other styles, I have some nice guitars. I don't want to end up with a guitar that's hard to play or doesn't sound good.

I'll be patient and save.
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Bambolo wrote:
    I'll be patient and save.

Speaking personally, yep, hard to do. But good choice, in my opinion. Someone told me (sorry, can't remember who) that by the time you're ready, the guitar will find you. I always liked that notion.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • If you can try em on for size and buy that one that tells you what notes to play :twisted:
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • David F.David F. Vancouver, WA✭✭✭
    Bought a Model 39 (oval hole) earlier this year. I have never owned a gypsy jazz guitar nor ever purchased an acoustic instrument brand new. Changed the strings after 3 days--it had been in a local store for a year-plus with original strings--and played it more or less daily since purchase. My time varies wildly from 3 minutes a day to over an hour and I'm not a real Gypsy Jazz guitarist but like the sound, feel, and tone of this guitar. I hope it gets louder as much of my playing is with my wife who plays Scottish smallpipes. Wanted to make the post less ambiguous--I am enjoying this guitar tremendously and would recommend it to anyone wanting an oval-hole instrument without spending a ton of money. Comfortable, fun to play, nice to look at, great sound, a good deal.
  • fourowlsfourowls Brisbane, Queensland, AustraliaNew Petrarca Grande Bouche
    David F. wrote: »
    Bought a Model 39 (oval hole) earlier this year. I have never owned a gypsy jazz guitar nor ever purchased an acoustic instrument brand new. Changed the strings after 3 days--it had been in a local store for a year-plus with original strings--and played it more or less daily since purchase. My time varies wildly from 3 minutes a day to over an hour and I'm not a real Gypsy Jazz guitarist but like the sound, feel, and tone of this guitar. I hope it gets louder as much of my playing is with my wife who plays Scottish smallpipes. Wanted to make the post less ambiguous--I am enjoying this guitar tremendously and would recommend it to anyone wanting an oval-hole instrument without spending a ton of money. Comfortable, fun to play, nice to look at, great sound, a good deal.
    LOL..this man deserves a medal, his wife plays the bag-pipes!! Mate, you deserve to play as loud as you want!! (Just joking as I am Scottish, but the bag-pipes are an 'acquired taste'!!)
    Peace to all!
  • NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    I think you might be thinking of the Highland pipes.
  • fourowlsfourowls Brisbane, Queensland, AustraliaNew Petrarca Grande Bouche
    NylonDave wrote: »
    I think you might be thinking of the Highland pipes.
    Goodness,,,I am a Scot and didn't know there was a difference! Glad he likes his Paris Swing though....I was eyeing off the D hole one for a cheap guitar....