DjangoBooks.com

How often do you change your strings?

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    Funny but I've just been noticing how good my guitar sounds with these old strings (too cheap and lazy to change them).

I used to change them a lot with Argie types (copper) since they are so soft and wear rapidly. I'd change the G string first since the windings wear out and break. Then when the others would get 'dead' I'd change the whole set (usually about the time the 2nd G string would wear out). Since I'm so cheap and have not been gigging I just left this set on my Gallato for I don't know how long. The G string is totally shot but has not broken yet and the other wound strings have a lot of wear but it still sounds great and stays in tune really well.

Go figure, I guess I used to throw away good strings.

Conversly, I've never liked how they sound right when they are new. I like them to 'darken' up a bit.
  • lacrossehotclublacrossehotclub La Crosse WI✭✭✭ Dupont Nomade
    Interesting timing of this post - I was just considering an order for a set of ten replacement Argentine single G strings.

Bones, when you replace G strings does it produce an unbalanced set? Or is it just a matter of time before the new G gets broken and matches up with the tone of the older strings (that in the meantime have gotten a bit older themselves)?
  • JonJon melbourne, australiaProdigy Dupont MD50B, '79 Favino
    I change them all at the start of the week, as the intonation is usually shot by then. That said, I'd usually break at least 3 in an average week...so factoring in the replacements, that's more than a set a week.

Jon
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hey Lacrosse,

I've never really noticed a big difference when changing the 3rd string by itself.

Hey Jon,

You must put in a lot of hours and hit them pretty hard to break 3 a week???
  • AmundLauritzenAmundLauritzen ✭✭✭✭
    Anywhere from once a week to once every two weeks, sometimes once a month.

As my technique has become more relaxed, strings seem to last longer. In the beginning I made the common mistake of trying to pick very hard to get a strong sound. It only made my technique tense and broke strings very often.
    Now I get good volume and projection with a relaxed technique, and the strings last longer too!

Also, I've gotten over the whole 3.mm+ pick napoleon complex. I use the Wegen BigCity 1.8mm now and I get more volume, better tone and projection than I did with the 3.5mm.
    Sort of a side note, but it's my observation that a relaxed technique gets the best sound and volume AND preserves the strings better.
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Strings? Who needs strings? Use these instead (right Bob?) :D

67147_x.jpg
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    I can usually squeeze 3 weeks out of a set of Argentine 11s, if I'm playing every day. I need to restring tonight, as a matter of fact!
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    I like worn in strings. Reckon they take a week or so to mellow out. My hands don't sweat, so rust and corrosion isn't a problem. Argies do seem to get dented easy on the G string, so I got some extras. New strings sound too jangly and brittle with too many overtones to my ear. I leave 'em on up to year on my guitars. Prefer a smooth, warm, fat tone.
    Swang on,
  • SpaloSpalo England✭✭✭✭ Manouche Guitars "Modele Jazz Moreno" No.116, 1980's Saga Blueridge "Macaferri 500", Maton 1960's Semi, Fender Telecaster, Aria FA65 Archtop
    You're supposed to change them??????

Sp :lol:
  • Anyone want to buy some used argie 11's cheap??? :twisted: :twisted:
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed