Logo
Call Us
Categories

DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Today's Birthdays

gcw philou Zouny1 brians356

Related Discussions

Who's Online (0)

Gypsy violins

Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
edited November 2013 in Violin
I play mostly the guitar but have done some bluegrass fiddle. Trying to ease into a bit of the simpler violin parts. Do the gypsy violinists use any particular type of instrument or setup - classical type bridge? Thanks.

Comments

• AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Musicalia, Bucolo et. al.
    I play mostly the guitar but have done some bluegrass fiddle. Trying to ease into a bit of the simpler violin parts. Do the gypsy violinists use any particular type of instrument or setup - classical type bridge? Thanks.

most of the violin players i've worked with in person seem to have the 'regular' / 'classical" setup, including the bridge. And ,often , they're playing on the same instrument they'd use to play other genres i.e. classical. I understand that some bluegrass / country swing players lower the bridge, I don't think it's common in Gypsy Jazz.
    [Two of the people I'm thinking of play with professional symphony / ballet orchestras]

I dabble in a little violin too, and my set up is pretty 'classical', bridge & strings wise, though my instruments are fairly cheap old European violins I've acquired, mostly at local auctions.

-Andy-
    |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
    /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
    |,4- ) )-,_ ) /\
    '---''(_/--' (_/-'
  • Sorry for asking it here, I didn't know where to address this question. So, does anyone know what kind of violin this guy is playing?
    http://wowmp3.net/watch/hQ_XX52-Xdw/gog ... imus-alive
    He's pretty awesome I think and I love the way his instrument sounds, I'd love to buy a similar one.
  • Hi RobbieW. Looks like one of the Yamaha silent/electrics. I guess he got tired of trying to amplify his old standard violin. I has ta say, all due respects, I don't care much for this band. I guess the younger folks like them because they have that punk/high-energy thing, but their stuff sounds repetitive to me, mostly focused on a repeating shouted chorus, and not a lot of instrumental breaks. To be fair, I don't like punk, so I'm admittedly prejudiced here.
    I'll put in a plug here for my fave new band, Fishtank Ensemble: serious gypsy stuff, mashed up with swing and flamenco. High-energy, clear vocals (I could understand the words, except I don't speak Serbian), good instrumental stuff. YMMV.
    As far as the violin, there are probably better choices, and I suspect the old boy got it because it was inexpensive and durable.
    Bon chance,
    MacKeagan
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Musicalia, Bucolo et. al.
    not sure about Gogol Bordello, but that's a big crowd they are playing to.

here's a video of Fishtank Ensemble, any GJ band that has a girl with a
    bowler hat playing the saw AND a belly-dancer is all-good in my book.
    More videos on their channel. thanks for the headsup, MacKeagan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlmvQXpHWyE
    |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
    /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
    |,4- ) )-,_ ) /\
    '---''(_/--' (_/-'