edited December 2012 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 178
I just came across this book:

Django Reinhardt: Know the Man, Play the Music:
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/0879308 ... NBXNGGFN49

I was wondering if it is worth getting?

TIA, Carlos

Comments

• lezardlezard IrelandNew
    It's alright, there are some nice tunes transcribed, Bouncin arround in particular but it isn't note perfect. The biography section is practically non exsistant and the technique section isn't up to much either.I guess it would be fine for someone with a passing intrest in the genre but there are much better books out there.
  • The book is nicely produced, spiral bound hardback, with a cd.

1st part is an essay by Dave Gelly (jazz journalist - well known in the UK) on Django's life and career.

2nd part is an analysis of Django's (early) playing style. General overview of principle elements with notated examples, followed by analysis and transcription of:
    Djangolgy, Sweet Chorus, Bouncin Around, Minor Swing, Honeysuckle Rose & Nuages.

The above includes the harmony parts and some of the chord tricks.

The playing on the cd put me off when I bought it, but listening to it now it sounds good. The rhythm playing is more hot club than gypsy jazz.

I'd agree there are better books out there (Benjamin Givan - The Music of Django Reinhardt) but it's not bad.

Best Ray
  • kevorkazitokevorkazito Winnipeg Manitoba Canada✭✭
    The book is nicely produced, spiral bound hardback, with a cd.

Best Ray

thanks Ray, that helps a lot. Carlos
  • delb0ydelb0y ✭✭
    The rhythm playing is more hot club than gypsy jazz.

Sorry to be dense, but could you expand on that a little, please?

Cheers,
    Derek
  • Derek, not dense at all. Subject of much debate on these forums.

At the risk of getting flamed to a crisp, my take is:

Hot Club rhythm playing has a longer chord sustain on every beat and the upstroke is slightly slower. The rhythm has a pronounced bounce and an even dynamic. The sort of backing that Fapy Lafertain favours.

Gypsy jazz rhythm playing has a more clipped attack to it. The upstroke may be dispensed with entirely and the rhythm has a flatter feel. I'm thinking of the sound that Moreno has behind him.

Of course there are all sorts of variations and points in between. If it's any help I would describe the Hot Club style as wet and the Gypsy jazz style as dry. It used to be argued that there was a regional influence, with Parisans closer to the Hot Club style and the Alsas based players being more what I describe as gypsy jazz.

Anyway this is what I was getting at.
    Best Ray.
    Thanks for that description... I was wondering the same thing as Derek.
    stuart wrote:
    It is an excellent book, I highly recommend it. .

OK, it's back in my cart :D

Thank you Stuart!
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    Derek, not dense at all. Subject of much debate on these forums.

At the risk of getting flamed to a crisp, my take is:

Hot Club rhythm playing has a longer chord sustain on every beat and the upstroke is slightly slower. The rhythm has a pronounced bounce and an even dynamic. The sort of backing that Fapy Lafertain favours.

Gypsy jazz rhythm playing has a more clipped attack to it. The upstroke may be dispensed with entirely and the rhythm has a flatter feel. I'm thinking of the sound that Moreno has behind him.

Of course there are all sorts of variations and points in between. If it's any help I would describe the Hot Club style as wet and the Gypsy jazz style as dry. It used to be argued that there was a regional influence, with Parisans closer to the Hot Club style and the Alsas based players being more what I describe as gypsy jazz.

Anyway this is what I was getting at.
    Best Ray.

I don't know that I've ever thought about it like that, but I think I agree with you. Certainly the Hot Club style has older voicings than the upper extensions that are used in modern gypsy jazz.
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com