DjangoBooks.com

Good quality mic recommendation....

kevorkazitokevorkazito Winnipeg Manitoba Canada✭✭
While I await the delivery of my Altamira M01 I am trying to figure out what kind of mic I should use for recording.

Can anyone give me some advice on which mic I should get?

I'm using an Apogee interface for my computer.

I would like a mic that I could also use for live performances as well.

Thank you.

Comments

• kevorkazitokevorkazito Winnipeg Manitoba Canada✭✭
    From what I have researched in this forum so far, I like Jazzaferri's post regarding the MXL 603:

Re: Thoughts: K&K Pure Macaferri or Audio Technica PRO70

Postby Jazzaferri » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:11 am
    I'm not clear on your venue requirements however I have had great success for guitar and reso with a Marshall MXL 603 in a nearfield configuration...

http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7258&p=37197&hilit=live+microphone#p37197

I know this topic has been discussed in this forum.

What I am wondering about is what type of mic does Stochelo Rosenberg use when he mics his guitar live? That sound is really great from what I have heard from videos I have seen. They look like expensive mics.

I'm not really into a clip-on type of mics.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

What I am wondering about is what type of mic does Stochelo Rosenberg use when he mics his guitar live? That sound is really great from what I have heard from videos I have seen. They look like expensive mics.

Stochelo uses a combination of a Peche a la Mouche pickup with an AT831B lavalier mic. In the old days he mixed a mic with a bigtone but in recent years he's mostly been using a magnetic pickup.

M
    Stochelo uses a combination of a Peche a la Mouche pickup with an AT831B lavalier mic. In the old days he mixed a mic with a bigtone but in recent years he's mostly been using a magnetic pickup.

M

Thanks Michael.

Just so I am clear on this, he has both of those mics on his guitar at the same time?

Also, would these mics go into a preamp then the PA, or does it plug straight into an amp?
    (I can see the 1/4 jack on the Peche a la Mouche pickup, is the AT similar)

I'm very new at this and I appreciate your advice :D

Thanks Michael.

Just so I am clear on this, he has both of those mics on his guitar at the same time?

Sometimes both....other times I've seen him with just the mic and other times which just the pickup.
    Also, would these mics go into a preamp then the PA, or does it plug straight into an amp?
    (I can see the 1/4 jack on the Peche a la Mouche pickup, is the AT similar)

I'm very new at this and I appreciate your advice :D

You could do either..but keep in mind you probably don't have the same needs as Stochelo Rosenberg. If you're like most of us, your regular gigs are in noisy bars and restauraunts in which mics are impractical. Usually a pickup is much more practical in these sorts of gigs as mics feedback far too easily.
    Sometimes both....other times I've seen him with just the mic and other times which just the pickup.

That's interesting to combine the two. I am guessing this combination presents some interesting sonic possibilities... maybe combining signals that have each gone through different processing?
    You could do either..but keep in mind you probably don't have the same needs as Stochelo Rosenberg. If you're like most of us, your regular gigs are in noisy bars and restauraunts in which mics are impractical. Usually a pickup is much more practical in these sorts of gigs as mics feedback far too easily.

Yes, that makes sense to keep the set-up for a live gig as simple as possible.

Would you recommend using the mic for studio recording to capture the subtleties of the instrument?

I'm getting a grip on this subject now 8) thank you!
  • I'd highly recommend the Ischell contact microphone. I've been using it for a few months now and prefer this to other systems that I have used or heard including the K&K (both versions), the Bigtone, and the Schertler Basik.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10239

Additionally, I know that Stephane Wrembel is currently using this system on his Holo as well and has mentioned that he likes it after he found the sweet spot.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I use both the AT831b and the Ischell in different situations. My take on it is that you would get somewhat better (i.e., more natural acoustic) sound for recording with the AT mike. The Ischell will give you a reasonably acoustic sound for live performance, especially in situations where background noise is a problem, in which it will be difficult if not impossible to get decent volume without feedback using a mike. Of all the pickups I have tried, the Ischell is the best for live performance in terms of a good balance of sound and feedback resistance. However, if noise is not an issue, I would prefer to go with the AT mike.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
    This is great advice, thanks for the 'schooling'!

I think that I'll try the AT831B. I'm no where near to performing live so I can hold off on the mic for now.

I hope the sale on the AT831B doesn't end soon.
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭

M

Thanks Michael. Just curious, but any idea what, if any, system Nous'che tends to use (specifically, with a D-Hole, club/indoors)?
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.

Thanks Michael. Just curious, but any idea what, if any, system Nous'che tends to use (specifically, with a D-Hole, club/indoors)?

In the old days he generally used the same rig as Stochelo: bigtone, usually mixed with a mic. I'm not sure Since Stochelo switched to using magnetic pickups. I think Nous'che may just use a mic exclusively now but I'm sure others could provide more info on what he's using these days.

'm