DjangoBooks.com

Dinette - why so lonely in sessions?

PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
edited December 2012 in Repertoire Posts: 1,471
You know, I love this little tune...Nous'che and Stochelo backstage somewhere in 2008, on their Roots album....just a sweet, little groove, and Nous'che's rhythm on it sends me into orbit.

My question is, am I alone? Why do we not often see it in jams, etc.? I know the provenance is Dinah, but for the life of me, I can't hear the Rosenberg's light take, without craving a coupla eggs, white toast with butter and apple jelly, hash and bad coffee.
-Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.

Comments

• You're making me hungry. I play this tune a few times a month with my band. It certainly gets some love from me, although it gives me a little trouble soloing over it.
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Hey Jim, yeah, hahah, I've got a place on the northside of Chicago in mind....and all kinds of fedoras, and the odd piece of gangland hardware. Nothing beats a cheap breakfast for making you see things. :D

That's cool. I'd love to hear you guys play it. Do you have anything out there, music/vids?
    -Paul

• Life is too short to drink bad coffee
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    Jazzaferri wrote:
    Life is too short to drink bad coffee

Hahah, well, I'll tell you what was told me to once. I may have mentioned it here. Lives ago, when I was a Chicago actor, and before I went union, I worked quite a bit, but for wages that...well, let's just say it wasn't New York strip nightly, 'kay?

I used to love this greek coffee house. The guy who owned it, I'm certain a former Orthodox monk, long black beard, a crown of thin, jet hair, eyes to match...chided me when I lamented I'd not enough to keep doing espresso at his place. In a thick accent, "always leave a little room for luxury, Paul."

I've never forgotten.

Now, that said, you see, in my high-falutin' palate world, a cup of bad coffee is a luxury. I won't do Dunkin' Donuts (sorry, afficionados), but I will do diner mud, for the flight of fancy into the swing era, alone!
    -Paul

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    I guess things come and go in fashion. Dinette is one of the most common djam tunes down under, with the breaks and all ..
    wim wrote:
    I guess things come and go in fashion. Dinette is one of the most common djam tunes down under, with the breaks and all ..

I guess everything has it season...you guys are in summer now, right? Maybe we're just bummed to be entering winter. :D

That's really interesting, Wim. At DIJ, and at, oh, 3-4 of our local fests (we have a summer and a winter one), I don't recall it being called once. I really do like the tune.
    -Paul

• rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    We play it ala Django Creole-it works really well as a Latin style tune..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iBhoPeSDbE
    Here's how it should sound! 8)
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell
  • wim wrote:

I guess everything has it season...you guys are in summer now, right? Maybe we're just bummed to be entering winter. :D

That's really interesting, Wim. At DIJ, and at, oh, 3-4 of our local fests (we have a summer and a winter one), I don't recall it being called once. I really do like the tune.

I definitely called this a DiJ during the infamous "play from your abs" Stephane jam.
    Hahaha, I missed that one, Jkaz! I heard about it though!
    -Paul

• BonesBones Moderator
    Here's a transcription of Django's solo. Not sure which version but I think there's only like 2 or 3 recorded. This is the one where he starts his solo with the sequence of sweep arpeggios.

This one is full of neat stuff to work on including his comping/counterpoint during the theme choruses.