DjangoBooks.com

Guitar Orgy!!!

Comments

• Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Thanks for the kind words, Bob. As for the "collector" thing. That's long since been put behind. I think the story was probably blown up a bit in the retelling. Maybe you were talking about the other guy, and the intermediary just thought it was me. No matter, I consider you one of my favorite people, even though we've only met once before in person. Besides, it would have been a reasonable assumption. It took a number of years before I would play out in a band, and I am still pretty shy about playing in front of people, mostly because I know I suck! :wink: So I imagine it was easy to pigeon-hole me as a non-player. I actually sent a PM to the guy who seemed most upset on the forum. I think he's good with it now, but I wanted to reach out anyway.

Thanks for the kind words on 862. I remember when I bought her, Reinier Voet looked at me like I had made the biggest mistake of my life. 862 wasn't very good then, but between the brilliant work of Rodrigo Shopis and Geoff Benge, she's become a pretty fair thing. I'm actually intrigued by an idea of yours that Michael told me about that might make her even better. I'm guessing the other Selmer you liked so much was 872. Sadly, I have never had a chance to play that one. I can't wait for you to try 565!

I've been wanting to e-mail you for some time, but realized I lost your e-mail when my old hard drive crashed and burned. I know you are a busy guy, but if you still have my e-mail, shoot me a message sometime so I have yours back in the new machine. I want to talk more about that idea of yours for 862.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    you might not go to dij michael?!?!?!?!? if there's a Michael Bauer DiJ fund, i would most certainly chip in.
  • Me too. I am going for the first time next year and it would be very, no, extremely dissappointing if Michael wasn't there
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Michael, just want to say publicly, though I was shy of coming in much, you're room last year was one of the most generous things I've experienced - in a community where generosity has been one of the things that has been really gratifying, you're extending as you do is a really special thing. I know what you're going through and though I'll be disappointed if you're unable to come, pulling for you in every way, neighbor.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I've had this conversation with Michael a number of times. He's quite modest about his contribution to DiJ and doesn't seem to really believe that he is all that important to the overall (douce) ambiance of the camp. But I agree with the above posters - DiJ without Michael just would not seem right. His generosity in sharing his wonderful vintage guitars with all comers, pro and amateur alike, and the welcoming atmosphere of his room (not to mention my bro Michael himself) would be sorely missed. The Hot Club of Room Whatever is a DiJ institution. I for one do not care to contemplate the idea if a DiJ without it.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    I think Django in June has grown to the point where my bit is just a small side-show, and not really important to the event anymore

that ain't so .. your contribution was one of the best things about the festival in my opinion
    Bob Holo wrote:
    If you haven't seen it yet, look up Adrian Holovaty's 2013 XOXO conference speech on Soundslice. He talks about odd internet behavior and it is hilarious.

thanks for the tip, indeed that was a hoot :lol:
  • We need to organize someone in CHI who has a big van and will drive out so Michael can take it a little eadier. I'll bring a couple of bottles of Talisker. And some real Absinthe.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    Michael plus a couple of us from Chi who plan to attend next year should rent a big car/van and road trip it.
    I know I'd do it.
    Buco
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Guys, I can't promise as I have to talk about this with my wife - we have the one car, an SUV, between us and she was likely heading up to the Upper Peninsula the week I'm at DIJ - but we do have an SUV, Grand Caravan, with plenty of cargo room and passenger seats.

My problem is that I share with Michael some of the same issues, a bodywide neuropathy, vertigo, other stuff that means I can't drive at all on some days (unsafe), and never drive long distances due to the flareup in nerve pain it kicks in. But, perhaps others could take driving duty?

I just want to toss it out as a possibility...let me talk about this with my wife, and hopefully it will generate some dialogue here as well.

Thanks,

Paul
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Guys, I appreciate the kind thoughts, but let's see where things stand closer to the event before worrying how to solve a perceived "problem." There are multiple layers to this, not all of which everyone is aware of. I wasn't trying to fish for compliments, I was just letting Wim know that things are a lot less certain going forward than they have been in the past.

I describe my role at Django in June thus: 1. I put a lot of containers in my car, which just involves a lot of elevator trips; 2. I drive a long way, propelled by good music and the anticipation of seeing old friends; 3. I arrive and take the containers from my car to my room, usually with much assistance from said old friends; 4. I enter into a state of mild inebriation and sleep-deprivation, which I maintain at a fairly constant rate from Monday through Saturday night; 5. I put the containers back in my car; 6. I drive home, propelled by 5-Hour Energy Drinks and fear of my wife; and 7. I return said containers to my condo, the hardest part of which is a lot of elevator trips…and staying awake. It's really pretty straightforward, and requires no special skills.

I have watched Django in June grow from a weekend affair involving maybe 25-30 people, to this year's mega-event of 120+. Andrew has built it into a world class event through persuasion and hard work. the other guy I give a lot of credit to is the most amazing Denis Chang, who has been a force each and every year I have been there, selfless, and a tireless teacher and performer. As long as those two guys are there, Django in June will continue to grow into an even bigger success, whether I am there or not.

Now please, let's let it rest and see how things go between now and June.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.