DjangoBooks.com

Down and dirty recording for practice feedback?

PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
This will probably generate as many opinions as members, but wondering if anyone has any particular recommendations for a very simple need - a decently accurate means to record one's work, as monitor, for practice purposes? I'm afraid I've not been happy with my presonus pre-amp, MXL mics, and Audacity (weird distortions, and likely just needs more work than I want to put into it), and after seeing the quality that can be achieved with Iphones, Zoom recorders, I'd just like to find something to practice by. I use a mirror, but need a decent recording means, nothing fancy (or expensive, hopefully).

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Paul
-Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.

Comments

• roch@rochlockyer.com[email protected] new mexico (current)✭✭
    Hi Paul,
    I just use my iPhone for personal evaluation of right hand etc....It actually sounds decent audio wise just sitting on the music stand. For a slightly better sound any cheap 75-100 camera does the trick...I have a casio zi model I got on craigslist for 50 bucks...I hook up a Rhode video boom mic...(180bucks) if I want a better sound than the I-phone....You can see/hear the zi camera w/rhode on my website under videos...By no means a polished professional recording but more than adequate for simple sharing purposes....
    PS. I'd e-mail Adrien in Chicago and ask him his exact configurations for really great sounding videos.

Good luck
    http://www.rochlockyer.com
  • If you are using presonus and mxl 603 s there must be a problem in the digitizing software Audacity? in the computer as that is a really sweet budget front end chain. It could be that the presonus output level is too high for your computer and distorting. Could be audacity, I have used it for digitizing a recordingmand it maymbe glitchy ifnot an expert in it. I find itok for manipulating data.

If you are using mac try going into garage band. Ignorant on pc recording so cant help you there.

If you want good quality sound and easy mp3 I use a Zoom H2. Good mics and really easy to use. Nice portable take anywhere unit
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. I've seen some on the fly vid clips done with an Iphone, and was very impressed with the aud (and vid, as well), on board. My understanding is the current Ipod has the same spec AV, so that's a possibility.

Jay, I'm wondering if it's the mics - the MXLs I have are a 990 and 603S. The presonus is just a Bluetube dual channel pre-amp. I've tried monkeying with various things but for some reason can't seem to get anything other than really crappy sound output. Our computer is a plebeian beast - an ASUS, Intel Core i5650, 3.20Ghz.

I've actually seen Adrian's setup somewhere, he posted it in response to an interview question. He's got more dough into his stuff than I was hoping to spend. Really, just want a decently accurate recording for instant feedback. Agreed, all of his vids are top notch.

Someone had a zoom at DIJ - something around $100, I seem to recall, and I was very impressed with the sound. Looks like Zoom is a great option, thanks, Jay.

I've got both Audacity, and Reaper. I'm clueless as to manipulating/mixing, so that might explain some of the issue. Worth learning for down the road; for now, just want to hear my practicing.

Thanks again, guys.
    -Paul

• Hey Paul

Are you getting crappy sound out of the preamp or out of the computer? Are you using the 990 and 603 at the same time? Is the 603 s the stereo matched pair of the 603 or a different version of the mic?

How are you positioning the 603?
    Jazzaferri wrote:
    Hey Paul

Are you getting crappy sound out of the preamp or out of the computer? Are you using the 990 and 603 at the same time? Is the 603 s the stereo matched pair of the 603 or a different version of the mic?

How are you positioning the 603?

Bear with me, Jay, as I'm really lousy with this stuff. I don't know how to hear anything directly from the pre-amp. There's two ins and 4 outs - mic female ins, the outs have both red/white mini outs, and mic male outs; I use the rw mini to go into my computer's line in jack at back.

Yep, using the 990 and 603 at the same time. I bought both quite a while ago, so only know the 603 is a "603S". I position that one off the bridge, sometimes, off the 12th, etc. The 990 is positioned on a stand, about 3 feet away.

Can I isolate out if it's mic-preamp by putting the preamp out through a stereo amp?
    -Paul

• Do you have a separate power amp with speakers or headphone output for your stereo setup?

Have you tried recording mono with just the 603 at about a foot away pointing toward the soundhole, probably slightly off axis? Could also be that ypu are getting phase problems with the two mics.

I would start by recording with just the 603 which if similar tomine is a small cap pencil mic. Check that the mic input level is correct. Te presonus should have some sort of input meter or led. If you arent familiar with that let me know what it is and what colours the lights are. Peaks shouldnt go above 0db or show red at any time as clipping is a very nasty sound indeed.

That is the first thing to check. One logical step at a time. If you can tell me whoch model of the presonus I can check out specs.
    Yeah, Jay, I have a stereo system with an amp, but in trying to use the RW minis, I got nothing except clipping. (As I said, I don't know anything about this stuff).
    -Paul

• Rw minis. Now Im getting confused, where do they fit in.

If you put your presonus through the stereo and it was clip city then either the inputs or the outputs on the presonus are set too high.
    You're confused because I'm likely making no sense. :D

The outputs from the Presonus are either XLR or 1/4" plug. I previously took the two channels, as 1/4" plug, put them into two RCA adaptors, and from these RCA to a single 3.5mm, which went to my line in on the computer.

Yesterday, I tried just going directly from the two channels, 2 mics, from XLR to the red and white RCA adaptors, into RCA in on my amplifier. No sound, except clipping, so as I was afraid I might fry my preamp or something, I pulled the setup.

I'd like to find a way for this setup to work - I recall people saying both the Presonus Bluetube and 603S were good entry-level pieces, as you mirror above. Otherwise, the simplicity of the Zoom H2 looms - but would rather not drop the dough if I can use what I have.
    -Paul

• arjrarjr ✭✭✭
    I use the Zoom Q3HD...you can find them for around $300.

It's easy to use and has a SD slot so you record yourself and pop in
    the SD card into your computer and analyze your playing.

The sound is great but if you don't want to spend that much the Zoom H1
    works just as good. Though it is audio only!!.

Here are a few video's I shot with the Zoom Q3HD.

Best,
    Angelo