DjangoBooks.com

Who is this fiddler?

DtpolkDtpolk New
edited October 2012 in Violin Posts: 11
I'm still learning who the recent gypsy jazz masters are. There is a U-Tube video on the web called the "Django Reinhardt Tribute" - Swing Gitan, with Angelo Debarre and Birelli Lagrene. I'm not sure which one the fiddler is...but he's great! One of the best I've heard. Who is he? Thanks!

Comments

• NewcastleBudNewcastleBud Erstwhile✭✭✭✭
    That would be Florin Niculescu.
    I think, therefore I am......I think.
    Here's this:

Florin Niculescu
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Florin Niculescu (b. February 8, 1967 in Bucharest) is a Romanian violinist of Romani (Gypsy) ethnicity. He is considered one of the best jazz manouche violinist of our days, the successor of Stéphane Grappelli. He is noted for his impressive technique and virtuosity as well as for his musical sensitivity.

Niculescu was born into a family of educated lăutari. Everybody in his family was involved in music: his father and his uncle were violinists, his mother a pianist and his sister a cellist. He received his first violin lessons from his father, with whom he started to study seriously when he was 4–5 years old. At 6 he enrolled at the "Dinu Lipatti" Music School and then at the "George Enescu" Music High School, where he was a first prize student. Meanwhile he played with his father at weddings and celebrations, where he developed his improvisatory sense. When he was about 13 he heard for the first time violinist Stéphane Grappelli, who would become his idol and jazz music his main attraction.

In 1991 he left for Paris to fulfill his dream of meeting Stéphane Grappelli and making a name in jazz for himself. He got his first gig at a Russian cabaret. He also enrolled in the Conservatoire de Paris, although his jazz teacher told him from the first audition that he shouldn't waste his time there, instead he should be playing on stage. Meanwhile, he continued to play on various scenes with various musicians.
    Niculescu finally met his idol, Stéphane Grappelli, in 1994. Grappelli was so impressed by him that he proposed him to record a disc together. Niculescu decline the offer believing that he didn't deserve the honor, yet. He hoped to receive some lessons from Stéphane Grappelli, but Grappelli told him that he has nothing to teach him as the Romani have a fantastic natural technique.
    In 1995 he joined Romane's band and, in 2001, he was invited by Biréli Lagrène to join his "Gipsy Project", inspired by the Quintette du Hot Club de France. The couple Biréli Lagrène-Florin Niculescu succeeded the couple Django Reinhardt-Stéphane Grappelli.
    Meanwhile he started to record musical albums under his name and to have numerous collaborations with other musicians: Jimmy Rosenberg, Babik Reinhardt (son of Django Reinhardt), Giani Lincan, Angelo Debarre, Hot Club de Norvège, Tchavolo Schmitt, Oscar Peterson, Jon Larsen, John McLaughlin, George Benson, Marcel Azzola, Regina Carter, Bucky Pizzarelli, Dee Dee Bridgewater, Wynton Marsalis, Angela Gheorghiu and Roberto Alagna. He also worked with pop musicians like: Charles Aznavour, Patricia Kaas, Patrick Bruel, Johnny Hallyday and Henri Salvador.
    Niculescu has been called “successor to Grappelli” and “one of the greatest violinists ever”.
  • DtpolkDtpolk New
    Thanks for the bio. He's certainly the best I've heard so far (although I think Kliphaus is closer in style to Grappelli). Is there a "Who's who" list of modern gypsy jazz violinsts anywhere?
    Well, I'm probably not the best guy to ask, but in addition to the afore mentioned Mr. Kliphaus, you may want to check out Costel Nitescu, he's played with Tchavolo Schmitt among others. Also, you might like Martin Weiss, he's great!!
    Finally, if you want to check out something more on the folkloric side, I heartily recommend seeking out Tcha Limberger, he's got a couple of cd's out with a Hungarian orchestra in addition to many recordings with Koen DeCauter,Waso etc. (especially the cd Romani)...AWESOME!!
    I don't know of any who's who list, but half the fun is seeking this stuff out on your own!!
    Hope this helps!
  • Charlie AyersCharlie Ayers Salt Lake CityProdigy
    Florin is incredible, no doubt. Make sure to check out his playing on Bireli's Jazz Live at Vienne DVD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc5__kZb ... re=related

And on the Bireli Gypsy Jazz Project CDs, as well as on Rapheal Fays' Jazz Hot the Gipsy Way.

Charlie
    That's right Charlie!
    And as an added bonus, Martin Weiss is on there as well..two for one,eh?
    Not to mention all the incredible music from Bireli,Angelo,Stochelo,..etc.etc. :D
  • LoritmoLoritmo Pacific NW✭✭✭
    I heartily recommend seeking out Tcha Limberger, he's got a couple of cd's out with a Hungarian orchestra in addition to many recordings with Koen DeCauter,Waso etc. (especially the cd Romani)...AWESOME!!

Just saw Tcha Limberger at DFNW and he was indeed AWESOME!

Lorretta
  • Charlie AyersCharlie Ayers Salt Lake CityProdigy
    I agree. It was the 1st time I saw him, and he was one of the highlights of the fest, for me. I love his playing on the CD Rosas, with Lollo Meier.

Charlie
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    I love Florin Nicolescu; Bireli's Live at Vienne is always a spiritual shot in the arm for me, and Florin soars there (and everywhere else). Agree on Tim Kliphuis. I don't mean to insult his work by saying it feels like he's almost channeled Stephane - Tim obviously has his own voice - but having seen him live, now, there's just something about him that really does remind me of the old Master.

I'm also very fond of Tony Ballogg, formerly with Alfonso Ponticelli. Here's a czardas from the Midwest GJ Fest in 2008, with Alfonso on guitar.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
    One of the highlights of Samois/Samoreau a couple of years ago was waking up one morning to the sound of the most beautiful violin playing. I wasn't surprised at all to see Tcha sitting on a stump twenty feet from me creating all this beauty...awesome!!!