DjangoBooks.com

Lesson websites

PolkatPolkat Chico, CANew
edited August 2013 in Violin Posts: 119
Hi all,
I've been a forum member for some time now, and have gotten some good advice here.

I live in a rural area in the US where we don't have violin teachers, let alone jazz violin teachers, and as a result I'm basically self taught. I've been searching the web for free jazz violin lessons, and with the acception of some U-Tube stuff (which doesn't really teach very well), or sites that only want to sell you something, I've been coming up short. I play okay but want to advance my improvising beyond simple scale and arpeggio runs.

Anyone know of any sites that actually provide usable lessons?

Thanks!
Violin's swing the best!

Comments

• PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Hey Polkat,

DC Music School has some things you might find useful. There are a few lesson sets on violin. I can tell you I've gained quite a bit between his DVDs (Tim Kliphuis is available on the Hyperhip Media site - if you've not heard him, I was blown away by him at the recent Django in June) and the DC website, so while I can't speak specifically to the violin stuff, I can speak to the quality of what Denis does generally.

Lot of fond memories, swimming in Chico - hitchhiked from Ventura and lived in Red Bluff as a pre-teen. Howdy!

Paul
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • While I dont play violin, as a sax player i love to steal their licks.

I took a msterclass with Tim at DFNW a few years back. He is a superb teacherbas well as a fabulous player.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
    I have never found much free stuff on jazz/gypsy violin on youtube or anywhere else.
    As you & Jazzaferri say, plenty of pay-for stuff, TIm's online lessons at the DC school do look useful, but I need more basic technique first. I do have a Costel Nitescu solo transcribed in pencil, though, somewhere , I should scan & post. Violin is taking a back seat behind clarinet, for now.

-A-
  • Judging from how Tim played, any decent classical violin teacher/site shpuld have lots of technique.

By the way he holds the violin, uses a bow and a few other hints, I get the impression that Tim had classical training early on.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • PolkatPolkat Chico, CANew
    Yea, he played and studied classical in the beginning. Interesting to note the way he holds his thumb, the nail pointing slightly outward! Thanks for the reply's and I'll check that website!
    Violin's swing the best!
  • PerltonePerltone ✭✭✭
    Check out Martin Norgaard's Gypsy Violin book on this website for $18. I have been using it to teach my son. Well worth it.
  • MacKeaganMacKeagan
    I'll second/third the recommendation of Tim's lessons via DC Music or other. I bought the download package of about 2 dozen etudes on popular standards, which includes backup tracks and access to vids of Tim doing playthroughs of each Etude. Even if you read music very slowly, these little beauties are full of enough Grappelli-esque runs to pump up your playing a good bit. There is one catch, though--you need to practice, and practice a lot if you're an old viellard like meself :wink:
  • AmundLauritzenAmundLauritzen ✭✭✭✭
    Christiaan van Hemert has a site with some lessons. He has a strong sound and obviously knows the Grappelli style very well. You might want to check out his lessons: http://hemertacademy.wordpress.com/
  • kevingcoxkevingcox Nova Scotia✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    My girlfriend has also been learning GJ violin while lacking a consistent teacher who knows the style very well, and I can tell you that just having a teacher in ANY style has been super helpful for her in tackling GJ on her own, using many of the resources mentioned. It is such a specific instrument, you want someone who can help you with purely instrumental technique. Style can always be added on the side.