DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Related Discussions

Who's Online (0)

Today's Birthdays

jmkoel VictorNarraway

What are some of Django's most repeated phrases?

2»

Comments

• fraterfrater Prodigy
    "No Josef, you can't play the lead but you can carry my guitar case if you want" :)
  • vincevince Davis & San Francisco, CANew
    Yea, I love that version Bones. I'm working to transcribe some of the phrases he uses across the Em7 - A7.

I love this one:

[code]
    ---14/15---12-----------------------------------
    ------------------15--12-------------------------
    ----------------------------12--------------------
    ---------------------------------14--13--12------
    ---------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------------------
    [/code]

It's so simple, yet the way Django executes it just makes it really sing. Harmonically it makes sense — it looks both like Em7 and A9.
    I don't know whether I'll ever be an excellent player if I keep practicing, but I'm absolutely sure I won't be if I stop.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Yeah that's a really common and useful 'shape' over a IIm7 or V7 (in this case Em7). It pops up all the time in the transcriptions with all sorts of little variations.
  • vincevince Davis & San Francisco, CANew
    A little off-topic, but how does a phrase like this differ from a bebop phrase over a ii-V? Just curious.

I feel like (and this may be because my ears are still developing) that it's hard for me to hear the little differences between bebop and swing. Sure, I can listen to Charlie Parker and the rhythm and tempo instantly make me recognize it as bebop, but what aspects of the phrasing over standard changes make it bebop?
    I don't know whether I'll ever be an excellent player if I keep practicing, but I'm absolutely sure I won't be if I stop.