DjangoBooks.com

Vibrato

Paulius VolkovasPaulius Volkovas ✭✭✭
edited November 2012 in Technique Posts: 147
I am having some difficult time getting a good vibrato sound. Can someone suggest how to improve it?
Should i do vibrato with 2nd and 3rd finger only or should i be able to do with index finger also?I find it very hard to do with index finger. Also i find it hard to do vibrato on 1st string.

Comments

• I'd suggest watching some video of Stochelo from the Rosenberg Academy videos. If you aren't a member, you can probably find some promos from you tube.
  • I do vibrato as I learned on classic guitar on all 4 fingers. not as broad a freq change but nice nontheless and some find that technique easier to learn.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Paulius VolkovasPaulius Volkovas ✭✭✭
    Yes I am a member of Rosenberg academy. I do watch lessons there, but the lesson about vibrato is not very helpful. I think this is serious topic and should be covered deeper. I can do a basic vibrato with 2nd and 3rd finger but thats about it, i would like to get better at it .Rosenbergs lesson doesn't help me much. I love the song lessons there though, great way to learn.
  • Right. I'm speaking of the actual songs. You can watch how he does it if you choose one of the slowed down licks.
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    Hey there,

Try pressing extra extra hard when doing your vibrato. I heard somewhere that this is the secret of great Django style vibrato, and it seems to work well for me. I press nearly as hard as I can when I'm doing Vibrato.

Anthony
    Great, thanks for the tip Anthony
    this may be a stupid question but
    When you are doing vibrato do you bend the string down or up? Or does it depend on a string?
    How would you do index finger vibrato on each string?
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    One thing I recall from Denis Chang, can't remember which vid it was (and I hope I remember it correctly), was that players tend to rely on the finger too much, and not the wrist - resulting in an uneven tone across the bends. I seem to recall he talked about laying the wrist close to the fretboard, and it's the wrist, more than the finger(s), that does the bend.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    pauliusmm wrote:
    When you are doing vibrato do you bend the string down or up?

When I do vibrato, I'm slightly pulling the string down. On the High E, I keep the sting a little more stable though or else it pops off the fretboard.
    and it's the wrist, more than the finger(s), that does the bend.

Absolutely correct ! I teach guitar, and the main thing I stress with vibrato is to LOCK your finger on the string, and use your wrist to "vibrate" your hand, causing the vibrato. If you're wiggling your finger back and forth, then you're not vibrato-ing correctly. The back and forth/side to side rotation comes from the forearm/wrist area.
    anthon_74 wrote:
    pauliusmm wrote:
    When you are doing vibrato do you bend the string down or up?

When I do vibrato, I'm slightly pulling the string down. On the High E, I keep the sting a little more stable though or else it pops off the fretboard.

So if i understand correctly , you pull down on every string when doing vibrato? I thought i should pull them up on 1 and 2nd strings.