DjangoBooks.com

best GJ jazz guitar

Hi everyone i'm looking to buy my 1st gypsy jazz guitar. i'm looking to spend in the 1500$ to 2000$ range. Anyone have recommendations of a great GJ guitar in that price range?

Comments

• anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    Hmmmm... Fun to consider...

You could wait until Michael gets another Dupont Nomade in.

If you're going to Django in June, you may want to try some guitars out there. I'm assuming there will be someone selling guitars there.
    That way you get to play it first. Michael are you going to be there ?

The Dark eyes Dell arte looks interesting, as does the Manouche Latcho Drom, both in that range. I have an alta mira which is the same guitar as the manouche latcho drom without the extras that dell arte puts on before they sell them. Michael does have bunch of Alta Miras right now. You would spend alot less (just over a grand). The alta miras sound real good. Mine is crazy loud.

Gitane has a good $1500 guitar, it's the dg 370 Doratto schmitt model. I played one at Django fest marin. sounds really good and loud.

I might buy one of those some day.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    The Altamiras are amazingly good for the price. I bought an M01 model for a backup/travel guitar and was quite amazed at the very authentic sound. The tuners and tailpiece are cheap, but they can be replaced (caution: replacing the tuners is probably not a simple do-it-yourself drop-in process because of the odd hole size). Also the frets could use some work, and the bridge on mine was not well-fitted to the top (a simple fix with a little sandpaper and patience). You could probably have all these upgrades taken care of by Josh before shipment and still pay less than you would for the Dell'Arte Latcho Droms.

There are also some solid wood Altamiras coming out that may be an even better option. And secondhand Latcho Droms show up from time to time.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • noodlenotnoodlenot ✭✭✭
    i just got an altamira (thanks missus!) with solid mahogany B&S (M10?), and for my limited experience it is indeed a very fine guitar - loud, good definition, projection and balance (for a GJ guitar):the notes just pop-out of that little thing. the bridge was well fitted; the tuners are far from high-end but do the job smoothly. i say, try it!