Banner Adverts
Closure

DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's Online (1)

  • peterja 10:52AM

Related Discussions

Today's Birthdays

Paul Mehling EFlagg maaseema123 KenConlonq

A Good Flight Case

Does any one have a line on a good flight case. The airlines managed to destroy my Calton and I am wondering if there are any other cases that are as good.
Thanks in advance
Tom
«134

Comments

  • trumbologytrumbology San FranciscoNew
    Posts: 124
    I have no experience with Calton cases, so I don't know if this one (details below) is better or not. I bought one, have yet to take it on an airplane.

    Discussed here:

    viewtopic.php?t=443

    Sold here, among other places:

    http://www.fqms.com
    SKB ATA Dread. Flight Case
    Item # SKB-18RW

    Neil
  • langleydjangolangleydjango Langley, WA USA✭✭✭✭
    Posts: 99
    My question is:
    How did the guitar IN the Calton come out? And, if the guitar is fine, why would you want something different?

    These are real questions, not smartass remarks.

    I'm guessing you're just checking out options since you have to buy something to replace the destroyed case. But if it did its job...
  • mitch251mitch251 marylandNew
    Posts: 70
    Well The short answer is after flying with that case for 10 years
    the airline managed to break the case and the guitar. The guitar thanks to
    insurance and Eric Aceto has been repaired but the case has to be replaced. That being said I don't think you can do much better than Calton, that case took alot of beatings at the hands of the airline folks and even after they busted it you could dance on it. My problem is that I have more than one guitar that I fly with (different sizes) and right now I cant afford 2 Calton cases at $700 apiece. I will buy one and see if I can find a case that will hold up till I can afford another one. So I guess I am looking for a less expensive alternative that I can fly with that will still leave me some peace of mind if I have to put it under.

    Thanks Tom
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Posts: 1,911
    Tom,

    One other thing to keep in mind is your right to bring an instrument onboard rather than checking it as baggage. Often you can get an instrument stowed in a closet in the cabin, I think, and that would be a big help if you were travelling with a case you were less than 100% sure of. I don't know if all this changed with the whole Homeland Security craziness, but it's worth looking into. Not long ago someone posted something on a Yahoo group-some sort of document from the FAA or somewhere similar about the rights of musicians to keep their instruments when flying-I'll see if I can track it down and upload it here. I think Ted might remember it, too. Ted?

    Best,
    Jack.
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    Posts: 431
    Hiscox cases are pretty good, and are light and (relatively) cheap.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Posts: 5,827
    Jack wrote:
    One other thing to keep in mind is your right to bring an instrument on board rather than checking it as baggage.

    About 75% they'll let you bring it on....but the problem is the other 25% of the time. If you're stuck in the boarding area without a flight case and they won't let you bring it on you have two choices:

    1) Risk almost certain damage to your guitar by checking it in

    2) Cancel the flight


    I almost had my honeymoon canned by a bitchy airline employee who was determined to not let me take my guitar on. I finally was able to talk to a stewardess on the plane and they found a place for it. But for about an hour I thought my honeymoon was over....

    It's not worth the stress...just get a good flight case!

    'm
  • mitch251mitch251 marylandNew
    Posts: 70
    Michael Wrote
    About 75% they'll let you bring it on....but the problem is the other 25% of the time. If you're stuck in the boarding area without a flight case and they won't let you bring it on you have two choices:

    1) Risk almost certain damage to your guitar by checking it in

    2) Cancel the flight


    I almost had my honeymoon canned by a bitchy airline employee who was determined to not let me take my guitar on. I finally was able to talk to a stewardess on the plane and they found a place for it. But for about an hour I thought my honeymoon was over....

    It's not worth the stress...just get a good flight case!

    Your right Michael
    Its that 25% of the time that will get you and it has gotten me more than
    once .Thats why I just started checking it in the Calton,
    I got tired of having my blood pressure go up every time I had to board a plane. What sort of flight case do you use?
    Thanks
    Tom
  • CampusfiveCampusfive Los Angeles, CA✭✭✭✭
    Posts: 98
    The only option that can fit multiple guitars is the CaseExtreme Clam. It fits over your existing case, and its only $150-200. Its not in the same league as the Calton, but its a different approach.

    The Clam is basically a corigated plastic box, and it has foam C-pads that you use to float or isolated the guitar.

    I've flown with it 4 times and it works great.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Posts: 5,827
    I have a Calton for my favino.

    'm
  • mitch251mitch251 marylandNew
    Posts: 70
    Thanks every one
    I think I will get another Calton and save up for a 2nd. The clam does sound interesting though, I am just not sure about putting my guitar in something
    named after a bi-valve.
    Happy Holidays
    Tom
Sign In or Register to comment.
Home  |  Forum  |  Blog  |  Contact  |  206-528-9873
The Premier Gypsy Jazz Marketplace
DjangoBooks.com
USD CAD GBP EUR AUD
USD CAD GBP EUR AUD
© 2020 DjangoBooks.com, all rights reserved worldwide.
Software: Kryptronic eCommerce, Copyright 1999-2020 Kryptronic, Inc. Exec Time: 0.040837 Seconds Memory Usage: 3.444717 Megabytes
Kryptronic