DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's Online (0)

Related Discussions

Today's Birthdays

Barbwire crescendo swamlepow robertabrego

Shims under bridge?

Someone recommended I put rosewood shims between the bridge and body - Should it be a particular grade or cut? Does it need to be quarter sawn? Any more info would be helpful.

Comments

• swingnationswingnation ✭✭
    Try thin wood veneer. It comes in a roll at most hardware stores or sheets online. Cut to size with a exacto or razor blade. Works well for me.
  • LufsenLufsen New
    I put clarinet or sax reeds under the bridge, and that works for me.
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    edited April 2012 Posts: 349
    I used popsicle sticks (wooden ice cream sticks). Someone here posted about them. Apparently they're maple and worked perfectly. The ones I got were slightly wider than the old style (wide enuff to fit the width of my bridge with some trimming. Cheap (about $2.00 for a pack of approx 20). Bought em at the local Rite Aid drug store. Just the right thickness (about 1 mm) and easy to cut to shape (used an X-acto knife). Colored them using a wood touch up maker. You can hardly notice them. Very happy I raised the action. My guitar plays and sounds much better (no buzzing), louder and better tone.
    Swang on,
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Jimmy Rosenberg uses an interesting shim:

Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • kungfumonk007kungfumonk007 ✭✭✭✭
    Just shimmed it with some cherry veneer - instantly sweeter :0) - With my replacement dupont bridge with some shims my cheap little Gitane dg-250 is starting to sound nice.