DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy Jazz Arpeggios App Review

bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
edited March 2012 in Technique Posts: 513
After spending some time working with this app, I thought I should write a review. I downloaded it to my 2G iPod touch. It provides the user with audio, notation and tab of 4 categories of arpeggios commonly used in gypsy jazz: Major, Minor, Dominant and Diminished. Each category has examples with several chord roots, and provide the usual chordal extentions. These include the standard 6th, 7th and 9th additions with the appropriate chords.

The arpeggio categories have subcategories, which vary in the starting notes (root, 3rd, 5th, 6th or 7th) and ascend 3 octaves horizontally. This is in line with the overall principle of giving the user the fingerings and movements Django would have used. Both the right hand picking directions and the left hand fingerings are given with each example. Each subcategory has four accompanying audio tracks: slow backing track, fast backing track, slow arpeggio with backing track, and fast arpeggio with backing track. All audio tracks are 12 bars long.

There is a hints section to the software, which provides both general guidance for practicing and specific hints for applying chord/arpeggio substitution concepts.

Overall, I enjoyed using this app to remind me of the fundamentals of left hand fingering, and use of horizontal arpeggios only. The downsides are: 12 measures of a backing track is not enough for me, so I was constantly needing to restart the track for continued practice. It would also be nice for this app to take another step forward, and combine the arpeggios for use with common progressions.

I hope that the folks at AppDesigner Inc. keep upgrading this one, because it could turn into a nice additon to our ever expanding practice arsenal.